RalphB

Basic Question in using MSP430

Hi @@RalphB

It appears that he used a LaunchPad to program and then put the programmed chip into the circuit.  The programming process is described here:  http://43oh.com/2011/11/tutorial-to-use-your-launchpad-as-a-programmer/

The LaunchPad is not necessary for the circuit  after programming since the circuit provides 3V3 power, external crystal, and the necessary passives.

Thanks for the quick and concise answer.

I've spent ages trying to find an answer and you've given me the very page I needed! I can start moving ahead again

Given I'm going to have to buy a Launchpad for this, I'll have to think of other ways to use it.

Ralph

It seems the guy on the website regarding the clock used an MSP430 and the Texas Instrument LaunchPad to programme it before using it in his circuit so I

@@RalphB

In addition to all the above, not to overload you with information...

Since the LaunchPad only cost $10 you could use it if you wanted and just remove the voltage regulator and G2211 microcontroller shown in his circuit.  But then you wouldn't have that cool LaunchPad to play with anymore.

And a couple more suggestions/comments....

• It looks like he soldered the microcontroller directly  into the PCB - I would use an IC socket(14 pin for the MSP430G2211) as they are cheap and would allow you to swap the microcontroller in and out:  http://www.newark.com/multicomp/spc15496/dip-socket-14-position-through/dp/82K7787
  • Order a MSP430G2211 if you are going to use that microcontroller when you order the LaunchPad as these don't come with the LaunchPad
  • The LaunchPad will come with a 32 kHz crystal which you can use for your clock.  Or you could order the crystal with matching capacitors too - see the Bill of Materials in the Design Files for the components used by TI in the LaunchPad:  http://www.ti.com/tool/msp-exp430g2?keyMatch=g2%20launchpad%20design%20file&tisearch=Search-EN-Everything
  • There are some parameters in the code that allow you to empirically tweak timing and you really don't want to be swapping the microcontroller in an out of its socket while you reprogram.  In the photograph he uses a LaunchPad to program the G2211 on a breadboard before putting it into the final circuit and that would certainly work.  Or you could provide a programming header - you just need some way of accessing RST and TST along with 3V3 and GND.

Let us know how it comes out....

Hi'

An update and a cry for help!

Since the last post here, I've finished my scratch built CNC machine, controlled by the Arduino and it seems to be working fine. I need this to cut the gears for the clock. I managed the electronics because I simply followed other peoples Arduino projects.

However, I've not got my head around the electronics for controlling the clock, despite the friendly advice I've received. I'm really a wood builder rather than an electronics guy.

In the meantime I've emailed the original builder of the micro-controller circuit, hoping to buy a complete unit but it seems he doesn't offer them for sale.

So, my cry for help: Is there anything similar out there in the market place or could/would anyone be interested in quoting for a complete unit?

Ralph