Sign in to follow this  
tepeyolotl

How to install/use mspgcc

Hi, I'm new to msp430 mcu's and I would like to develop with the GCC toolchain, I've readed several guides on how to install the toolchain (including the posts in this subforum), but most of them refers to mspgcc4 (which is now unsupported) and the other ones refer to an "installation package" which doesn't exists. The links on the wiki lead to a precompiled binaries (for mingw?) but still that binaries don't have a README nor an INSTALL file. It would be very appreciated if someone can give me a hint :thumbup: . Thanks in advance.

You are best off using packages provided by your OS. If they don't have any, poke them with a stick until they do.

That said, attached is the script I use for building MSPGCC myself. It is known to work on Linux and FreeBSD (with considerably good chances of working on other BSDs as well). You need to figure out and install the dependencies yourself (look at the top of the script -- they will be numerous), I am not able to help with that in any way, shape or form (can't be familiar with every *x incarnation around, nor want to be).

This may sound inappropriate or even rude, but I really, really, really would like to avoid a backlash of "but it doesn't work". Building the GNU toolchain is (can be) tricky with lots of (direct and indirect) dependencies and hidden traps. I am not in the position to try and debug anyone's particular system through this. This script has been in use for quite a while now, and it does work. If it doesn't work for you, it's 99.99% because of a missing dependency, not a script problem. If you feel uncomfortable with this (which would be quite understandable), poke your OS vendor to build and package the MSP430 toolchain for you. At the very least FreeBSD, Ubuntu, Debian, OpenBSD and Arch have Uniarch by now, so it's not like uncharted territory for anyone.

Edit: thanks to the incredibly utter stupidity the FSF people handled some license-violation-or-whatnot in their products, the script no longer works as-is, and I will not fix it up. YHBW.

build-mspgcc.gz

Thanks for your reply, sorry i didn't mentioned that i was trying to compile with mspgcc in Windows. Well after poking around with the precompiled binaries I get it to work! I've merged the two packages availables (msp430-gcc & msp430-mcu) following the install script. After that i tryed it with a C example code from TI, the only "error" in the compile time was the interrupt keywords used by TI (the #pragma vector and __interrupt), I thought it would compile with the TI headers now included :roll: :roll:

Anyway, I tested with another codes with the mspgcc headers (msp430.h) and everything worked like a charm :clap: