Sign in to follow this  
yyrkoon

Who is using rPI ?

My Pi collection of just tripled today.

attachicon.giftriplepi.jpg

Any suggestions on how to network the Zero?

Depending on the speed you need you can use a:

USB WiFi dongle, 

USB to Ethernet adapter,

serial to Ethernet adapter, or an

ESP8266.

The first two will need an adapter or USB OTG cable, and may require a powered hub to work reliably. There are also several boards like this one that add standard USB ports to the Pi (they use pogo pins), which would not require the OTG cable/adapter.

The last two will require you to solder wires or pins to connect them to the GPIO pins, and will be much slower.

As for the IoT HAT mentioned by Rei Vilo, I have one of these and it can be ordered without the female header, which would allow using stacking headers thus gaining access to the unused GPIO pins. 

My Pi collection of just tripled today.

attachicon.giftriplepi.jpg

Any suggestions on how to network the Zero?

Already mentioned by @@SteveR I'd probably opt for the ESP8266 *OR* not mentioned an HC-04 BLE breakout board. *IF* all you needed to do was to put data out at a "slow" rate. Then adapting a guide like this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Adding-Bluetooth-40-to-Your-Arduino-Project-IoT-Co/ should make it stupid simple to implement in C on Linux.

I have 11 and a twelfth on the way. I am also one of the mods on Stack Exchanges' Pi specific site. I use my Pi's to run my information dashboard, build light, and I am currently working on a bench cam that will move left to right above the bench as well as pan and tilt.

Are you 'R' on stackexchange ? Just curious. Stackoverflow / stackexchange has for me become the 'go-to' resource when I quickly need to refresh my memory, or haven't a clue about a given subject. And I've seen a lot of posts from a person only known as 'R' heh. Mostly centering around C - it seems.

Are you 'R' on stackexchange ? Just curious. Stackoverflow / stackexchange has for me become the 'go-to' resource when I quickly need to refresh my memory, or haven't a clue about a given subject. And I've seen a lot of posts from a person only known as 'R' heh. Mostly centering around C - it seems.

No this is me.

No this is me.

Ah ok , I think I've run across a few of your posts. Wow, it seems you guys get a lot of RTFM questions asked on those forums too. Not referring to here, but the beagleboard.org google groups gets a lot of 'here let me google that for you' posts too . . .

Ah ok , I think I've run across a few of your posts. Wow, it seems you guys get a lot of RTFM questions asked on those forums too. Not referring to here, but the beagleboard.org google groups gets a lot of 'here let me google that for you' posts too . . .

Yeah, if you look at the home page the avg reputation is less than 100, and most of them are 1 - which means they have never had an account on any of the stackexchange sites. It is the nature of the beast with noobs, personally I think the bigger issue is they don't know how to ask a good question - since they have never done it. So they often get more questions/requests for more info than answers. Overall we try and help anyone who comes along without using RTFM.

Yeah, if you look at the home page the avg reputation is less than 100, and most of them are 1 - which means they have never had an account on any of the stackexchange sites. It is the nature of the beast with noobs, personally I think the bigger issue is they don't know how to ask a good question - since they have never done it. So they often get more questions/requests for more info than answers. Overall we try and help anyone who comes along without using RTFM.

I've answered a lot of beaglebone questions in the last 3.5+ years. I've not always been nice about it. A character flaw that some times gets the best of me I guess. My mentality of that is if a person is not going to put forth the energy to do what they want done - Why should I ? However, I do understand that it can be frustrating to try and get something done. Especially, for instance if you've been using Debian for many years. I'm sure you understand the concept of "Debian without systemd" As in, I already know how to do that with sysv, why would I want to learn something new ?

Then I also forget that I've been using Debian since the 90's( sometimes in spurts ). . . while many of these people barely even know what Linux *is*.

I've answered a lot of beaglebone questions in the last 3.5+ years. I've not always been nice about it. A character flaw that some times gets the best of me I guess. My mentality of that is if a person is not going to put forth the energy to do what they want done - Why should I ? However, I do understand that it can be frustrating to try and get something done. Especially, for instance if you've been using Debian for many years. I'm sure you understand the concept of "Debian without systemd" As in, I already know how to do that with sysv, why would I want to learn something new ?

Then I also forget that I've been using Debian since the 90's( sometimes in spurts ). . . while many of these people barely even know what Linux *is*.

The funny thing about all this is: As I mentioned above, I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I want to use systemd as the init daemon on my own Debian images, So, I have not taken the time to truly learn systemd yet. Instead, through the many web pages on the internet, I've learned how to remove systemd, and install SYSv in it's place. Because I prefer knowing how to do various things. Like setup a tty device( /etc/inittab) or configure my network interfaces(/etc/network/interfaces).

But instead, with the latest Rasbian image, I went out and did a google search on "rPI how to static IP" and probably figured out how eventually from a stackexchange post . . .

EDIT:

One thing I did find rather hilarious on that search though. A post on the raspberrypi.org forums someone said that setting a static IP was not a good idea . . .heh

I totally understand where the frustration comes from (I started with RH3 circa 1997. Having multiple mods who communicate and cooperate well has made all the difference. As I tell our users who experience that some frustration - sometimes the better part of valor is to walk away and let someone else deal with the question. 

The funny thing about all this is: As I mentioned above, I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I want to use systemd as the init daemon on my own Debian images, So, I have not taken the time to truly learn systemd yet. Instead, through the many web pages on the internet, I've learned how to remove systemd, and install SYSv in it's place. Because I prefer knowing how to do various things. Like setup a tty device( /etc/inittab) or configure my network interfaces(/etc/network/interfaces).

But instead, with the latest Rasbian image, I went out and did a google search on "rPI how to static IP" and probably figured out how eventually from a stackexchange post . . .

EDIT:

One thing I did find rather hilarious on that search though. A post on the raspberrypi.org forums someone said that setting a static IP was not a good idea . . .heh

The thing with networking is that the Pi Foundation made a non standard change to how networking was configured and in what file the changes lived (spring of last year). We have seen dozens of questions with regard to static IP's since. That and the change you mention to systemd has resulted in countless questions, because of following a tutorial that no longer applied. We got so tired of answering them or closing them as dupes we started a blog.  

As far as systemd goes. I'm no where near the only one who has a problem with the switch. http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation  You probably already knew that though.

For me, this is mostly an embedded thing, and in this context that mostly has to do with the beaglebone's where I create my own images. Eventually, this will also migrate into an rPI thing, as we are very seriously considering creating a 'professional' type hat connect to an ODROID C2, which is pretty much a beefed up rPI 3. Same processor, same layout. etc.

One thing I would eventually find very useful is a guide that explains everything that needs to be in place to create / setup a custom image for the rPI's. I do not know if there is a BSP somewhere, but the thought did occur to me that I could just copy the contents( perhaps even with dd ) of the first(FAT ) partition. Bu what all needs to be in place on the rootfs. As eventually, I'd like to create a minimal image for our specific use case.

Another thing, is that I am somewhat of a 'debian purist'. I want my Linux to be as close to 'pure' Debian as possible. So the idea of 'Rasbian' kind of bothers me. With that said, the maintainer of the Beaglebone images also has all kinds of hooks, scripts, etc in place to take care of things too. That also bothers me . . . but it is convient to be able to apt-get install <whatever> where he has already taken the time to compile native armhf binaries for most Debian packages that needed this done. I still compile things like my own Nodejs for various reasons however . . . for starters this gives me Nodejs 4.6.2 instead of the 0.12.x version he's using.

For what it's worth, I have done some searching and have found a github project or two that builds Debian images for the rPI automatically. However the one I did find that I favor does not mention support for the rPI 3. While I do not know the hardware well enough to judge if it would be sufficient for the rPI3, and if not what else needs to be added.

Anyway, now that I'm done with writing code for a professional project. I have time to toy around with writing a 'cheap appliance' I mentioned on my initial post. I have already started, but I'm taking this slow as I want to write up an exact steps how-to guide on my blog site perhaps. Maybe here too.