Sign in to follow this  
yyrkoon

Who is using rPI ?

I'm just curious who else owns, and uses a Raspberry PI in a project, projects, or just to tinker around with. I bought a Raspberry Pi3 because off amazon for $36 including shipping. How could you possibly go wrong ? 1Ghz quad core, wifi, BLE, and a gig of ram for that price is nearly a steal.

So what I use mine for is as sort of a wifi<->ethernet bridge( AP I guess ? ). I honestly do not need this per se. But I do find it extremely useful when I am downloading, or uploading content to, and from the internet. Where I can very easily use the debian package / command line tool "wondershaper". To rate limit my downloads, or uploads. TO keep everyone else on our network happy.

To be sure there are very crappy Windows application that can do this as well. As said they are garbage, and the last time I check netlimiter actually still downloaded using your whole bandwidth capability. But then just drops packets on the machine running the software. So not really do any packet shaping, or bandwidth limiting. I tested that running netlimiter on a Windows machine within a virtual machine, then observed the bandwidth being used on the host.

Anyway, I thought it might be neat to develop a simple Raspberry PI 3 "appliance" using Nodejs. With the above usage case in mind.

I was given a Raspberry Pi 2 with a 7" screen on a raffle but I haven't found how to use it yet. I'm contemplating the idea of using it as a DVR with a DTT tuner.

I also have 2 BeagleBones: one hosts an ownCloud server, and another a Blynk server for my Private IoT with Blynk on Local Server project.

I have the RPi3. It controls all my sprinklers and is automated via open sprinkler.

I spent two days setting it up and it is now in my home crawl space.

It connects to my home wifi, so I can connect to it from anywhere(through a port forward).

The only thing I bought for out was the relay board.

I have the RPi3. It controls all my sprinklers and is automated via open sprinkler.

I spent two days setting it up and it is now in my home crawl space.

It connects to my home wifi, so I can connect to it from anywhere(through a port forward).

The only thing I bought for out was the relay board.

I bet the details of that project are fairly interesting. By that I mean the code, and the hardware, but not the end usage so much (sorry). My buddy and I actually designed an msp430 sprinkler controller several years ago. Using a board that actually has wifi and/or BLE is much more useful for this purpose however.

I was given a Raspberry Pi 2 with a 7" screen on a raffle but I haven't found how to use it yet. I'm contemplating the idea of using it as a DVR with a DTT tuner.

Right now, we *own* 5 Beaglebone black's but we also have 25 Beaglebone green's on premises for a customer. We've also had 5 other greens in the past while prototyping their cape design. We'll have many more come through here in the future as well.

I'm still a big fan of the Beaglebone family, but in other, and perhaps fewer cases I find the Raspberry PI 3 more interesting. Nothing can really touch the capabilities of the PRU's on the beaglebone in this class of a device. But there are not really that many use cases that *need* a PRU in common every day engineering. While the rPI3 definitely has the processing advantage, as well as double the memory.

One thing I have noticed though. The rPI's definitely seem to have a stronger "open" community. Software for the PI's seems and probably is much more polished. Though it still is not perfect. While the beaglebone camp is more geared towards the engineering type. With a much steeper learning curve.

I bet the details of that project are fairly interesting. By that I mean the code, and the hardware, but not the end usage so much (sorry). My buddy and I actually designed an msp430 sprinkler controller several years ago. Using a board that actually has wifi and/or BLE is much more useful for this purpose however.

Understandable.

Code is here: https://github.com/rszimm/sprinklers_pi/wiki (I did not write it)

I wanted something that I can setup quickly and is highly configurable and it works reliably, because my plants would not like it otherwise... and it has.

I ssh it into it every week to make sure all is well and hope to add more home automation functionality in the future. The only time it has gone down in the last 2 months is due to a power blip and it did not boot up well.

It looks at the current weather(temp, humidity, rainfall).. and uses an equation to figure out the water requirement... pretty cool.

The Wifi on board is a god send.. USB ports are free and nothing sticking out of it. 

Understandable.

Code is here: https://github.com/rszimm/sprinklers_pi/wiki (I did not write it)

I wanted something that I can setup quickly and is highly configurable and it works reliably, because my plants would not like it otherwise... and it has.

I ssh it into it every week to make sure all is well and hope to add more home automation functionality in the future. The only time it has gone down in the last 2 months is due to a power blip and it did not boot up well.

It looks at the current weather(temp, humidity, rainfall).. and uses an equation to figure out the water requirement... pretty cool.

The Wifi on board is a god send.. USB ports are free and nothing sticking out of it. 

Sounds like maybe you misunderstood what I meant ?

I get that you just wanted to get something to work. Without having to "Reinvent"  the wheel as it were. I just mean that the code, and hardware for me, is something far more interesting than the end use case. Which is what ? Watching a controller switch on a pump once every day ?

I have several Pi's around the house.  My latest project involving a Pi is playing around with automation and temperature logging.  I have an esp8266 board with a temperature sensor board connected that sends a temperature reading to my Pi every so often. Plan to get back to working on it soon.

Just got my RPi3 and had a chance to play with it today.  Stupidly simple to set up... a simple uncommenting of lines in /boot/config.txt to enable SPI, I2C, I2S etc.

The bcm2835 library seems to support hitting SPI et al from C easily enough.  http://www.airspayce.com/mikem/bcm2835/

So it's easy to get started with and stupidly simple for any reasonably experienced Linux admin to use.  The current Raspbian doesn't support the ARM Cortex-A53's 64-bit mode yet, so it runs in armv7l 32-bit mode, but it's still quad-core.

Looks like the RPi foundation supports the GPGPU project for writing code that utilizes the GPU, and there are examples shipping for e.g. "hello_fft" accelerated by the GPU.  Since the GPU is supposed to be bomb-diggity fast on those BCM283x chips, that outta be a good frontier for more serious projects to consider especially e.g. DSP work.

So it's easy to get started with and stupidly simple for any reasonably experienced Linux admin to use

Fortunately it is also easy to get started for those of us who barely have a clue :)  I bought one a while back to get better acquainted with linux but it hasn't received that much use yet.  One of these days....