pokmo

Porting Arduino code to MSP

Is there a specific reason you want to use an msp430?

Mostly because of space limitations. Unfortunately, even the Arduino Pro Mini is too big here.

I was planning to design a tighter PCB for the MSP.

If you are planning to make your own PCB the atmega328p comes in several small packages.

.8 pitch 32 pin tqfp

.4 pitch 28 pad vqfn 4x4mm

https://octopart.com/search?q=atmega328p

I don't see the advantage of using an msp430. Which one do you think is going to be smaller than the AVR version?

A 0.8mm pitch TQFP is crazy easy to solder for those who are just getting into surface mount (SMD) soldering.  MSP430 doesn't come in any packages like that fwiw, usually 0.65mm (TSSOP) or 0.5mm (QFN) although there is an MSP430F5172 available in BGA (although pretty fine-pitch I think, called dsBGA) .... but Energia doesn't support that chip.

Re: Soldering - I use OSHPark and OSHstencil for my prototypes and have no problem with my reflow toaster oven "system" (temperature tracked on my Fluke 87V and time with a simple kitchen timer). I've reflowed 0.5mm chips without incident. I've not tried any BGA, so that's unexplored territory. But for one-offs it's been a successful approach.

Now, if I could just remember to properly mirror parts and think in 3D when designing PCBs in Eagle... :(