43oh

I was reading the Family guide, as well as the F5529 guide and could not really determine how power consumption is affected by the UART in Asynch mode.  I expect that baud will certainly play a role, as the core voltage must be increased to run at higher frequencies.

The thought behind all of this is driven by wanting to keep battery life at a maximum, of course...

My GPS/Iridium Satellite comm device is following this basic flow:

loop()

switch(currentState)

case ENABLE_GPS:

{

Serial1.begin(9600);

digitalWrite(GPS_SleepPin, HIGH); //enable the GPS

currentState = WAIT_FOR_GPS_FIX;

break;

}

case WAIT_FOR_GPS_FIX:

{

if(bGPS_sentences_valid)

{

currentState = DISABLE_GPS;

}

break;

}

case DISABLE_GPS:

{

Serial1.end();

digitalWrite(GPS_SleepPin, LOW); //disable the GPS

currentState = SLEEP;

break;

}

case SLEEP:

{

sleepSecond(3600); //wait an hour for next fix

currentState = ENABLE_GPS

break;

}

default:

break;

}

Is there a power-saving benefit to stopping and starting the UART? I would assume so, but am aware that the UART code has a built-in sleep() as well.

As an aside:  I was seeing all kinds of weird behavior when trying to use the enable pin on the GPS, an MT3339.  I finally tracked it down to the fact that when the P6_5 pin went LOW, the Enable pin on hte MT3339 drew 350uA...  a 10K resistor has resolved that problem, but the ee noob that I am, it took me some time to find the problem. Whle the boards that arrived on Saturday don't have a resistor in the circuit, in the future I'll probably add both a mosfet for the pin to drive, AND a resistor to limit the loss of precious electrons...