Sign in to follow this  
yyrkoon

MSP430G2 emulator.

AH ! I was afraid of that. The PDF printout of the msp430 circuit here has nothing connected to reset . . . So, I get to chastise wulf when he gets back because he's been insisting its my code but . . . the code right now is very minimal, and only meant to toggle the GPIOs( P1.6 isnt needed by us, just used to test an unused / unconnected pin ). BUT the processor does not seem to be coming up, and if reset high is a requirement, then that probably explains why.

It's a bit of a kludge but male DuPont jumpers will fit into a DIP socket. So maybe you could use your G2 LP like... female-female jumper from the appropriate BoosterPack pins on the LP connected to a male-male jumper connected to your board's MCU socket for each relevant pin. Since you have only 4-5 GPIO/ADC pins on the 2553 on your board used, the LP would be a surrogate for the reset circuit.

If it works, you know what the problem was.

@@yyrkoon

If you have a G2 LaunchPad board then you may be able to plonk that right into the Wulf board.

The G2 LP has a DIP socket which ought to match the Wulf board good enough for a test drive.

I could also troubleshoot via skype with you if you wanted.

Problem solved !

@@zeke and I were chatting on google hangouts and he confirmed, and / or made me feel better about how to pull reset up from vcc. Turns out a single 47k 10% resistor between vcc and reset solved the problem. !!! yay.

Whiskey coke thirty ;)

So I hope you kick back some cash to him for his knowledge and ours!

I offered to help him in return. Which I would do anyway, without anyone helping me first. If I could.

Still, I'm left wondering. What are the implications of say I took a launchpad with an MSP430G2553 in it, and running. Then I run ribbon cables from the male headers out to an external board connected to a 20pin DIP socket in place of the same MSP430G2553 I'm running in the launchpad ?

After talking with @@zeke some of my "fears" were squelched. but we did not talk about everything. Essentially he told me that with ZIF sockets on both the LP and external board. I could have an MSP430G2553 *in* the board, and two male to male headers going back to the LP v1.5, and have the best of both world.

Now, I'm not looking to disprove anyone or anything of that nature. But I am wondering if there are any caveats that @@zeke and I did not already discuss ?

The only issue is usually power - who provides it.

Normally, the G2 LP will supply all the power to the target msp430 but the Wulf board wants to supply it as well.

So, you will have to make a choice of which board ought to supply the power.

If the Wulf board had proper circuitry on the TEST and RST lines then you would have to ask questions about that as well. But it doesn't so that's off the checklist.

@@Rickta59

Nah. I'm good.

Anythiing to help a friend.

This was actually discussed before we starting talking hardware ;) But I would agree. I would return the favor, and I would also help anyone else here if I could. After all, this fix was something comon knowledge for @@zeke, but something I had an idea of, but was unsure of. Because I am a software engineer. Not an Electronics Engineer . . . So I basically just needed coaching.

@@yyrkoon

If you get into it and pop your LP, I have an unmolested one here I can send to you. It's still sealed up in the anti-static bag; I just need to locate the USB cable if you need it. Just let me know.

@@yyrkoon

If you get into it and pop your LP, I have an unmolested one here I can send to you. It's still sealed up in the anti-static bag; I just need to locate the USB cable if you need it. Just let me know.

We actually have 4 LP v1.5's from the days where they were still $4.30 free shipping. So I appreciate the offer, but would prefer you kept and used your hardware :) We could also order more for *cough* what is it now ? *cough* $11 plus shipping *cough* ?

I also personally own 4 of the original LM4S launchpad form before they were rebranded as "Tiva" because some part of this worlds culture had a hard time pronouncing "Stellaris". I also bought a connected board which I've barely even opened to look at lol . . .one of these days I'll put all of these to use. GOt a KL25Z board around some where too . . .

I'd suggest taking a look at the schematic of the G2 Launchpad. There's no magic going on.

Ignore the EMULATOR side. On the side labeled MSP-EXP430G2 there's nothing scary - just a couple of buttons, LEDs, some decoupling capacitors and pull up resistors. I've found that an appropriate Launchpad is a good starting point when designing your own board.

I'd suggest taking a look at the schematic of the G2 Launchpad. There's no magic going on.

Ignore the EMULATOR side. On the side labeled MSP-EXP430G2 there's nothing scary - just a couple of buttons, LEDs, some decoupling capacitors and pull up resistors. I've found that an appropriate Launchpad is a good starting point when designing your own board.

So, as far as a starting point goes . . . Nothing I can do about that. I have a board, that is for much more, and is much larger than an MSP430G2 launchpad. My problem was trying to find a way to troubleshoot an MSP430 in this board. For which I was wanting to somehow connect an LP v1.5 up to the board in a way that would allow me to troubleshoot the issue. It's also not a case of being big bad and scary launchpad . . . I'm far more worried about blowing something on the board I'm working with.

But it doesn't sound like my concerns were really valid. It sounds as though I could run a jumper wire off the LP, into the external board. to test s single GPIO's functionality. etc. With the MSP430G2 in the LP.