dronus

MSP432 Serial settings

I tried to change the settings used by UART for Serial or Serial1 on an MSP432 (stopbits, parity etc.).

After hours of detective work I now guess the settings are applied by some code of the wiring framework in the emt432 framework. There is much code, but almost nothing of it is used, as most of wiring and the TI runtime seems to be precompiled to binary libraries like the wiring_msp432.m4fg.lib file. 

There are no Makefiles, nor any references how those binaries are built as far as I can see.

So how to fiddle with anything below the Energia provided API? Do I now need external IDEs / Compilers / whatever to change something? I am not used to that stuff from the Arduino framework :-p

I'd be tempted to call the Energia Serial.setup() (or whatever), and then adjust the hardware registers for stop-bits and parity behind its back.  Dirty, I know.

There is an option to enable logging of the full build process ("Show verbose output during..."), so you should be able to find the Makefile and library locations from that.

All the compilers and tools you need are included with Energia - that build log will show you the paths. 

Hmmm, interesting.  LM4F has "HardwareSerial" files, but MSP432 has nothing.

Edit: 05jul2016 - 

Arduino has "Serial.begin(speed, config)" where config is like SERIAL_8N1.

Maybe this has been added to the latest Energia beta?