43oh

Seeking advice - MSP430F5529 C/C++ vs Energia

The Energia framework itself doesn't really play well with the MSP430 USB API from what I recall. There is a "USBSerial" example shipping with Energia but it's mostly a hacked up example using an old version of the MSP430 USB API (pre-driverlib if I'm not mistaken).

With straight CCS C/C++ you can use the MSP430 USB descriptor tool to generate custom USB setups.

The most glaring problem with using Energia with an msp430f5529 is that it uses msp430-gcc version 4.6.3.  That version of gcc doesn't really allow you to take full advantage of the larger flash size.  You are limited to using the flash memory in the address range less than 64k (16 bit mode).  For the msp430f5529 that means you only get access to 48000 bytes of the 128k of flash available.  If you use CCS you can use 20bit compiler mode and access all the flash.

-rick

See my issue about another board. The problem is also applicable to the msp430f5529:

https://github.com/energia/Energia/issues/806

The Energia framework itself doesn't really play well with the MSP430 USB API from what I recall. There is a "USBSerial" example shipping with Energia but it's mostly a hacked up example using an old version of the MSP430 USB API (pre-driverlib if I'm not mistaken).

With straight CCS C/C++ you can use the MSP430 USB descriptor tool to generate custom USB setups.

Yes, in experimenting with the F5529 and related tools (I havet the LP, the EXP, and the 80SB boards) I've found the USB examples helpful, and while not relevant for my current "quick and dirty" project for my hiker-transponder, they will be of great benefit in the very near future with my upcoming project.

Thanks!

bob

The most glaring problem with using Energia with an msp430f5529 is that it uses msp430-gcc version 4.6.3.  That version of gcc doesn't really allow you to take full advantage of the larger flash size.  You are limited to using the flash memory in the address range less than 64k (16 bit mode).  For the msp430f5529 that means you only get access to 48000 bytes of the 128k of flash available.  If you use CCS you can use 20bit compiler mode and access all the flash.

-rick

See my issue about another board. The problem is also applicable to the msp430f5529:

https://github.com/energia/Energia/issues/806

Rick,

Good to know. 

I'm still of "two minds" regarding Energia.  My original intent for the current project was based in the hope that it would allow me to develop a quick solution to my hiker-transponder.  But I am finding its (Energia's) approach is introducing new complexities... I actually have a good sense of how to do what I want in a "traditional" C-based approach using low power modes, and timer ISRs, etc.  But, it's been years since I was a programmer by profession (I really am a nurse now, it's been about 15 years since I was paid to write code), and string handling was never a strong area for me, so I was hoping the String and related classes would be a way to work around my own weaknesses.

Thanks again for taking the time. :)

Bob