43oh

MSP-EXP430FR5969 upgrade from 1.2 to 2.0. Can it be done ?

I wanted to measure energy usage vi the Code Composer Studio's EnergyTrace feature.  Documentation says I needed to get an MSP-EXP430FR5969.  So I ordered one from Mouser and then noticed that the documentation on the Energia site said that revision 1.2 of the board wasn't suppported by Energia but that version 2.0 was supported.

So, is there any way to update the board from 1.2 to 2.0 apart from just ordering an updated one?

Thanks for your help,

Curtis 

That information on the Energia site looks a bit confusing to me. The MSP-EXP430FR5969 board has two different version numbers: One for the eZ-FET and another for the entire board.

The version 2.0 board is the one that features EnergyTrace, but the version of the eZ-FET on that board is 1.2. I think the Energia site is saying that if you have the board that says "eZ-FET Rev 1.2 with Energy Trace" then it's probably a V2.0 board. When that documentation page was written Energia didn't support this new board, only the old one without EnergyTrace.

This means there isn't a upgrade path as such, because the board with the V1.2 eZ-FET is the latest version.

I don't know how long ago that documentation was written, so I'm not sure if it's still correct. Have you tried using Energia on the board you have?

I went and dusted off my old FR5969 boards.

Here they are.

post-274-0-01553800-1464488974_thumb.jpg

From my memory they only ever sold the two? but maybe they have a newer one.

The left one is the original with experimental silicon not intended for production use. After they released the production variant of the IC they removed this one entirely from the ezFET code, meaning you cannot debug/program it. The ezFET will still work fine programming external chips.

You can check this quickly, the experimental silicon has X430 instead of MSP430.

Secondly there are 2 model numbers for each PCB, the Launchpads them selves, 1.6 and 2.0. and then the ezFET 1.0 and 1.2.

I very much doubt that mouser still has inventory of v1.6 launchpads with the ezFET 1.0, this was replaced by rev 2.0 with ezFET 1.2 about 2 years ago. TI even offered free replacement upgrades for everyone who bought them at the time.

Ah!!!  Thank you everybody.  You are right.  I was looking above the JTAG socket and saw rev 1.2.  However, the board rev is 2.0 on my board as displayed on the upper right hand side of the board, as pictured in the post above.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.  I really appreciate it !!