Sign in to follow this  
jogreenie

Fingerprint Scanner Project ram issues- Please help!

So I'm working on a fingerprint scanner project with this repo written for arduino for the scanner I'm using. When I try using this library in Energia, it's been giving me a ram error and refuses to compile. I know that pin assignments and certain things are different between using Arduino to program an atmega microprocessor and using Energia to program an MSP430G2452 with a launchpad, but just compiling it without uploading shouldn't change anything. 

Here are the errors I'm getting when I try to compile the enroll sketch (attached below)

-enroll.cpp.elf section `.bss' will not fit in region `ram'

-`ram' overflowed by 50 bytes

I've already had to fix a bunch of errors and file imports switching this over to Energia, but now I've hit a brick wall and I have no idea how to fix a problem like this. If anyone could help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

enroll.ino

G2452 is a pretty small chip.  Much smaller than the typical Atmel ATmega328 used in Arduino.

Try G2553 at the minimum... (which is still smaller than an ATmega328, but not as bad)

For even larger, hit up an F5529 launchpad or FR5969.

Thanks for the tip! Just changed the compiler to G2553 and it compiled all the way through without any complaints. So I guess I'll have to buy that new microprocessor. Do you know if it will work for the launchpad I am currently using with the G2452?

Thanks for the tip! Just changed the compiler to G2553 and it compiled all the way through without any complaints. So I guess I'll have to buy that new microprocessor. Do you know if it will work for the launchpad I am currently using with the G2452?

Most likely, can you share what "revision" of the MSP-EXP430G2 launchpad you have?  It should work either way but the newer v1.5 launchpads support the hardware UART on the G2553 (only 9600bps) better.

If you bought a G2 Launchpad, you should have a 2553 chip... matter of fact, that should've been the chip installed on the LP with the 2452 packaged separately.