gizmoguy3000

MSP430G2553 with NRF24L01 Wireless

Hello all!  I am currently working on a project that uses two NRF24L01 modules to communicate between two MSP430G2553 chips.  The goal is to send a 14 character string of numbers and letters between the two devices.  I have been trying to get code working with Code Composer Studio for a few weeks now, but have had no success at all.  

I found several posts on this forum from others who have tried similar things and this post in particular, http://forum.43oh.com/topic/2050-nrf24l01-registerscommands-and-functionswork-in-progress/page-2 with a link to a library created by Spirilis, however I've tried using this library and I can't get any of the code to compile.  I suspect that recent changes to CCS and the compilers have rendered the code inoperable.  

It would be a huge help if someone could point me in the direction of a functional library or any resources that can help me communicate with these wireless modules and transmit/receive data.

Thanks in advance!

I just tested one of my projects with the library on a brand new download of CCS - no compile problems.  It was an existing project, but I didn't see anything odd enabled (I thought I needed to enable the GCC flag but don't see it enabled).

@@spirilis

Super thanks for this excellent work. It is brilliant!

I've used your Energia library with success for testing nRF modules.

Now I'm keen to try the CCS code on my systems.    I'll check your github.

cheers.

@@spirilis

I checked the large amount of MSP430 code you wrote for the nRF.    And the BBQ monitor - quite good stuff.

QUESTION ---  do you think there would be much problem to port it to the MSP432 (432) Launchpad?

Please, no need to get too specific, but I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

Thinking aloud --- I'd like to use an MSP432 LP  plus  a  nRF with the PA + LNA + antenna as a master station.

Slave stations based on MSP430G2553  plus  nRF  on their low-cost PCBs with the track antenna.

(alternatively, I have a couple of old Stellaris LPs which I could use as a base station  --   did I see that someone ported to Stellaris?).

cheers...

@@spirilis

I checked the large amount of MSP430 code you wrote for the nRF.    And the BBQ monitor - quite good stuff.

QUESTION ---  do you think there would be much problem to port it to the MSP432 (432) Launchpad?

Please, no need to get too specific, but I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

Thinking aloud --- I'd like to use an MSP432 LP  plus  a  nRF with the PA + LNA + antenna as a master station.

Slave stations based on MSP430G2553  plus  nRF  on their low-cost PCBs with the track antenna.

(alternatively, I have a couple of old Stellaris LPs which I could use as a base station  --   did I see that someone ported to Stellaris?).

cheers...

Oh yeah that would be a great way to go.  I was going to do a Tiva/Stellaris port at some point but didn't bother with it.  Haven't done enough with them since to make it worthwhile.  (On to other hobbies these days it seems)

Hey all thanks for the replies!

Sorry about the delayed response, its the end of the semester for me so things are getting hectic.  After reading that others had more success than me using the library I went back and tried loading up the TX/RX examples again and they compiled and downloaded just fine.  I'm not sure what I was doing before that caused an error.

Now my question is what would be the best way to send a string of letters and numbers using the library?  I see from the example and in the library that you can send an unsigned 8-bit integer using the w_tx_payload() function so would the best way be to break the string into individual 8-bit chunks and send each one?

Also when sending data is the sequence:

w_tx_payload(data)

msprf24_activate_tx()

w_tx_payload(moredata)

msprf24_activate_tx()

etc...

Thanks again for all the help!

Ahh good old nrf24. The radio is capable of transmitting 32bytes of data so you might as well fill'er up before sending.

If curious there is also a fork of enrf24 for energia and g2553 that also will transmit BLE beacons:

https://github.com/analog-io/analog_io_lib

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah that would be a great way to go.  I was going to do a Tiva/Stellaris port at some point but didn't bother with it.  Haven't done enough with them since to make it worthwhile.  (On to other hobbies these days it seems)

Thread is a little old I realize, but the current library works great on Tiva/Stellaris boards.

I've used it on the following launchpads:

Stellaris

Tiva-C 123

Tiva-C 129.

You have to change the pin assignments to match the launchpad pins and play some games with where the SPI library resides on your computer, but other than that it works great.

Right now I have it communicating with an Arduino running the RF24 (http://tmrh20.github.io/RF24/) library. The two libraries use reversed orders for addresses and have very different default settings for the radio, but work once you get those straightened out.