Forum sending old emails Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
TimTorpedo

MSP430 USB Bootloader

Hello,

in my project I want to use the MSP430G2553 as a master which communicates with another device via USCI_A0 UART mode.
Is it possible to program the MSP430G2553 via the other modes, e.g. USCI_B0 SPI or USCI_B0 I2C respectively, without the use of a programmer?

Are there any tutorials regarding on how to write a bootloader for the MSP430?

Cheers,

Tim Torpedo

No, yes, maybe.

The msp430 controllers have either JTAG or SbW for programming. In addition to that, some have a UART bootloader that allows you to update it over a single specified UART, but only after using a specific startup sequence on the reset and test pins.

So in this case; no, you cannot flash the msp430 over SPI or I2C.

Since the msp430 uses a Von Neumann architecture, you can reprogram the flash memory from the application running inside the msp430 itself. So if you'd make an application that runs from RAM, you can reprogram the flash memory from inside your application. If you write an application that acts as an I2C or SPI slave, you could make it flash the msp430, but there is no default option to do so.

So in this case; yes, but you'll have to make it yourself.

The G2553 has a ROM based BSL. (Boot Strap Loader, essentially a bootloader). By default that's the only way to re-program the device without using an external programmer.

It should be noted that the BSL doesn't use USCI_A0 hardware, alas unfortunately does share a pin. P1.1 and P1.5 are used for TX and RX.

As @@roadrunner84 mentioned, you have the freedom to 'roll your own'. Since all the 'G' series enable the CPU to erase and program internal FLASH. You can find guide for writing bootloaders out there, unfortunately it's generally a very application specific and is tailored to your hardware/software setup.