43oh

Analog Devices RF Detector Kit offer for $5

• 1 month later...

Did anyone order these boards by chance and could report on international shipping costs? I went through the whole order process and would have had to click confirm order without knowing the shipping costs... There are not estimates anywhere to be found unfortunately. (The boards are now up to 10 USD a piece...)

Thank you very much

I did order two, hesitated at the unknown shipping charges but proceeded thinking domestic ground shipping on less than a pound shouldn't be much. Bad assumption. The shipping weight was actually 2 pounds due to the marketing material included (at my expense) in each board's box. Long story short...the $5 boards ended up costing just under $14 each. I won't be using RichardsonRFPD again.

You were wise to abort.

Oh dear. It might be a good idea to send Analog Devices a message about this. Promoting a distributer with such shady practices reflects badly on them too...

I'm not sure they will think much about it. Electronics suppliers and shipping costs go hand in hand. They don't figure the shipping until everything is packed, much after you ordered. Digikey, Mouser and even TI (who IIRC uses Digikey) as prime examples.

9 bucks for a 2 pound package is about normal.

Thank you very much for the info. I am in Switzerland, so I probably better forget about it... Unfortunately this board is not available with mouser, farnell, which ship to Switzerland for free if the order is for more than a certain amount.

I'm not sure they will think much about it. Electronics suppliers and shipping costs go hand in hand. They don't figure the shipping until everything is packed, much after you ordered. Digikey, Mouser and even TI (who IIRC uses Digikey) as prime examples.

Agreed $9 would have been reasonable for a two pound package. However, it was $16.

Agreed $9 would have been reasonable for a two pound package. However, it was $16.

Indeed - and it only weighted that much because the distributer chose to weigh the parcel down with an extra pound of marketing literature.

Well, I tried ordering two of the boards and a couple small tx modules.

Luckily they sent me a mail asking if I accepted their shipping charge of 76.81 USD. (for a total of 31 USD of components)

Which feels outrageous and so I politely declined...

I chose "cheapest international shipping method", so for living out of the US it's simply out of any range of justification for a hobby purchase.