SteveR

New MSP430FR2311 Launchpad

Is it really that important to have the built-in TIA on the device when it only has an ADC10 to read it? My typical applications benefit from more resolution, so it may simply be a matter of what sensors you use that make this important.

I think this new '2133 chip is targeted at smoke alarm applications.

The TIA is just what is needed to convert the nano-amps from the ionisation chamber into a detectable change of voltage.

At $0.60 in 1000off it's clearly aimed at high volume disposable products.

I think you could just about run a Forth in 3.75K of FRAM

Today I have just started looking at the MSP430i2041  which has 4 x 24 SD ADCs  - aimed at 3 phase electricity metering applications.   It's only $1.20 in 1000+  and makes the ideal smart analogue front end for loadcells, strain gauges, pressure sensors, altimeters  or  accelerometers.

My only gripe is that I have to buy another schmartboard adaptor every time I want to use a TI chip in a breadboard.  And very few of them share the same pin-outs. Its like you have to start all over again, each time you want to evaluate a new device. 

post-48241-0-89289700-1458680418_thumb.jpg

Ken

My only gripe is that I have to buy another schmartboard adaptor every time I want to use a TI chip in a breadboard.  And very few of them share the same pin-outs. Its like you have to start all over again, each time you want to evaluate a new device.

I don't work with qfn. For other packages I use on board p2p without adapter.

post-26480-0-80274500-1458724096_thumb.jpg

I don't work with qfn. For other packages I use on board p2p without adapter.

attachicon.gifmsp430f5510.jpg

Your breakout board brings back memories. I used to do that quite often. When packages started coming in with 100 leads, and small quantity PCB fabs popped up all over the world, I calculated I would save money (time == money) by just doing a small PCB breakout for my designs, and take a stab at the rest of the circuit on the board as well. I could further defer costs by putting footprints for other SMT parts on the same board and cutting them apart later.

I must admit your breakout if very impressive. Very neatly done. You must use a microscope or something.