43oh

what are options for debugging multi-launchpad system

Hi, I'm implementing a proof-of-concept MSP432 system using LaunchPads. Basically I2C sensor data gets captured by multiple slave msp432's communicating via SPI with a master msp432. I'm thinking ahead to debugging the slave/master interface - should it be necessary ;-).

How would you debug both sides of an SPI protocol using CCS and the XDS-110 on the Launchpads? One laptop for the slave and a separate laptop for the master, and trace each side of the SPI protocol completely separately?

The XDS110's contain a user UART channel that you could use. You can print out the received SPI byte and the transmitted byte.

Having this on both ends should give you a good insight into what's happening.

I agree with @Rei Vilo, A good logic analyzer is probably the best tool to debug digital communication level stuff. But it can be a large investment, especially just for a proof of concept.

I agree with @Rei Vilo, A good logic analyzer is probably the best tool to debug digital communication level stuff. But it can be a large investment, especially just for a proof of concept.

It can be based on 5529 LP, without large investment. Or on low cost USB entry level 550X device.

http://forum.43oh.com/topic/3909-msp430f550x-based-logic-analyzer/

BTW, 10 (or more) years ago, when I was deep in diy hifi, I use laptop parallel port and write simple program to spy I2C communication between CD Player processor and VFD display / keyboard. I decoded all commands. Target was to build CD transport with dedicated display.