Sign in to follow this  
veryalive

MSP432 on Energia17 - (1) compile errors (2) Application UARTs

Hi Forum,

I just started with MSP 432 on both Energia 17 and CCS6, and I'm having some issues.  I've worked them as far as I can, and they seem to break down as below.

I've used Energia for some years - a great tool.  I use CCS a lot.   I've been able to sort out 99% of MSP430 / Stellaris issues by myself, but now, I'm reaching out for some help to some wiser folks than I.

I've checked this forum and TI e2e.

Please help  --  How to get my MSP432 LP application UARTs to appear correctly.

-- How to get MSP432 Energia sketches to compile correctly.

Thanks post-28129-0-85234800-1452614320_thumb.jpgpost-28129-0-85234800-1452614320_thumb.jpgpost-28129-0-81501500-1452614357_thumb.jpgpost-28129-0-26214300-1452614390_thumb.jpgpost-28129-0-00880100-1452614405_thumb.jpgfolks !!!!

Here's the situation.....

1. Application UARTs on 432

The first problem is that Windows device manager reports 2 (two)  XDS110 devices in error. I cannot resolve this error by using the latest drivers /DSPinst.exe / DSLite / etc.    As a result, there are no application UARTs available.

But, CCSv6 allows me to upload compiled code, and to debug the MSP432 LP.

ATTACHMENT :  screenshot of 'MSP432 - applic uart drivers in error'.  The message, not in English, says the file, folder, or volume name is incorrect.    I've got Energia in C:\

2. Compiling sketches for the MSP432

Now, turning to Energia v 17, here's what happens.   (BTW, same on E v 16).

a) if I  VERIFY the basic 'Blink' sketch,  I get a massive number of errors.

Attachment:  screenshot of 'MSP432 e17 blink w errors'

B) If I try to UPLOAD the basic 'Blink' sketch,   the same errors of course, but with a DSLite error message.

Attachment: screenshot of 'MSP432 e17 blink w errors and DSLite error'

c) just for the record, I sucessfully compiled a MSP430G2553 Blink sketch

Attachment: screenshot of 'MSP430g2553 e17 blink w NO errors'

d) and lastly, I'm able to complie / download / debug the MSP432 LP via CCSv6 (but no application UARTs)

Some things I've done:

- removed / reinstalled Energias 16 / 17.   Now using 17.

- undated CCSv6 to the latest

- ensured Java is up to date

- run various versions of the drivers for the MSP432 LP XDS110 driver installs.  Then always getting the same errors / no UARTs as reported by Device Manager.

CONFIG NOTES:

1.  my overall system setup:  MSP432 LP rev1.0.   MSP430 LPs: G2553 / F5529 / F 6989 / LM4F Stellaris 

2.  Energia17 in   C:         No spaces or long file name.

3.  laptop with Windows Vista

Not sure I can help...but as soon as I saw Vista a possibility springs to mind. Have you completely disabled UAC? Even if you have admin privileges UAC can still trip up the proper installation of software/drivers.

@@dubnet

Many thanks !!!

Your advice worked.     Completely disabling Vista UAC User Access Controls) allowed the 2 MSP432 LP UART drivers to be properly loaded.    I confirmed this by jumpering the emulator-side RX/TX header pins on the 432LP while sending a message to the enumerated COM port called 'XDS110 Class Application/User UART'.

NOW , the next challenge .....  Getting Energia 17 to talk to the MSP432 LP wihout  *a* Compile errors     *b* DSLite error

Although I suspect one general Windows file system problem on my side, I just can't isolate and correct it.

The screenshots for these two errors on my 432LP are in the first post of this thread.

---- >     Is there anybody out there with some advice, please ?    < ----

Thanks and cheers,

@@veryalive What worked for me was to use CCS 6.1.1, connect the 432 LP and then start a new project calling out the MSP432 in the configuration dialogs that are part of a new project. During that process the XDS110 firmware was updated. Now when connected to Energia it would compile without error. YMMV

@@veryalive I do not see any compilation errors in 'MSP432 e17 blink w errors and DSLite error'. What you see is the output from the Makefile compiling the Sketch and framework. The status bar displays "Done compiling" which means that the compilation was successful.

As for the error uploading with DSLite, we had some issues with the drivers posted on Energia.nu preventing the automatic update of the programmer by DSLite. They have been replaced with a fixed version a last week. Please download them again / install and see if that fixes the issue: http://energia.nu/files/xds110_drivers.zip

Robert

@@energia I tried installing the newer drivers but still wasn't able to get past the issue. Perhaps I missed something in the process. Utilizing CCS was easy to try and it got me over the hurdle. Would a totally fresh install of 17 perhaps be worthwhile?

I doubt that a fresh install of Energia is going to help but you could give it a try. Just to make sure, after you used CCS you were able to upload successfully to the MSP432 LaunchPad?

@@energia     @@dubnet

OK -- here's what I tried, a few times.

>>>>  However, as before, I still cannot upload the 'blink' sketch to the 432LP.   <<<<

1- I used the latest version of drivers that Rob indicated.   In fact, I used them earlier today, the same file.

xds_drivers      Folder size = 12,118,732 bytes    after unzip.

2- I created a new CCSv6.1.1 project for the 432LP.   Again, just a blink; and it compiled / uploaded & is debuggable via CCS.

Then I properly terminated that CCS session, exited CCS.

3- I then went back to Energia17 and selected the 'blink' example as before, and selected UPLOAD.

>>>   The DSLite error message occurs again.

This time, I copied the full error message, apologies that its not in English, but I hope you'll get the gist of it.

DSLITE ERROR MESSAGE.....

===

Probleemhandtekening:
  Gebeurtenisnaam van probleem: APPCRASH
  Naam van de toepassing: DSLite.exe
  Versie van toepassing: 6.2.0.1456
  Tijdstempel van toepassing: 56498526
  Naam van foutmodule: api-ms-win-core-string-l1-1-0.d
  Versie van foutmodule: 6.0.6002.19514
  Tijdstempel van foutmodule: 561e7b93
  Uitzonderingscode: c0000142
  Uitzonderingsmarge: 00009f55
  Versie van besturingssysteem: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
  Landinstelling-id: 4105
  Aanvullende informatie 1: 9d13
  Aanvullende informatie 2: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8
  Aanvullende informatie 3: 9d13
  Aanvullende informatie 4: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

Lees onze privacyverklaring:

===

I'm still on this, so if there are any updates, I'd be very pleased to try them.

In the meanwhile, I'll dig into Forum threads I've seen which talk to this very  'upload situation' to see if I've missed something.

Thanks up till now !!!

Cheers,

I doubt that a fresh install of Energia is going to help but you could give it a try. Just to make sure, after you used CCS you were able to upload successfully to the MSP432 LaunchPad?

After CCS updated the XDS110 firmware I was able to use it with Energia 16 and 17 without a problem.

Many thanks, @@energia.      

I do get that DSLite error message box prior to the upload errors that other folks have reported here in 43oh (previous threads on 'E17 Upload probs').

All the best, and hoping a workaround is forthcoming.

@@veryalive could you please try running DSLite from a DOS command prompt? If you turn on "Verbose" during upload in the preferences then you should see the DSLite command in the log window of Energia. It will look something like:

/Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Resources/Java/tools/common/DSLite/DebugServer/bin/DSLite load /Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Resources/Java/tools/common/DSLite/MSP432P401R.ccxml /var/folders/v_/7pwxl8mx4dx6_yk2zn_g8r4r0000gn/T/build2838856801100244434.tmp/Blink.cpp.elf 

This is on a Mac so in your case the path's will be windows like paths.

Hopefully this will give us some more information about what is going wrong.

Thank you for your patience! Really appreciate it.

Robert

@@energia

I'm please to help!

For the first step, I ran DSLite from the DOS prompt and got the same error message immediately

I hope I did the right thing.

Then I took a screen shot of the following (left to right):

-   DOS window   - error message  - partial view of the folder within E17   -  the DSLite.exe file properties (date / size / etc).

I hope the screen shot comes through in this message on this forum, if not, I'll ttry again.

NEXT STEP  -  I'll do what you requested on 'verbose' mode, running 'blink' uploade from E17 to the 432LP.

cheers,

post-28129-0-89223300-1452802881_thumb.jpg