43oh

[Solved]Energia not uploading to MSP432

Hi,

I just got a MSP432.

I am working on Windows 7 64 bit.

Upload to MSP430 does work, so I think Energia is o.k.. The problem are probably drivers.

As upload did not work to MSP432, I updated to Energia 17, but this did not help. 

Then I updated drivers from: http://energia.nu/fi...110_drivers.zip

This did not help either.

I noticed that if I plug the MSP432, I get 2 virtual USB ports, not one as with MSP430, but this may be o.k.?

From the utility xdfdsu -e I get following info about the drivers:

=====================

VID: 0x0451    PID: 0xbef3
Device Name:   XDS110 with CMSIS-DAP
Version:       2.2.4.2
Manufacturer:  Texas Instruments
Serial Num:    00000000
Mode:          Runtime
========================

Here is the output I get from Energia (on both virtual ports):

================================

E:\P\energia-0101E0017\tools\common\DSLite\MSP432P401R.ccxml -f d:\tmp\build118977178168982942.tmp\sketch_jan07a.cpp.elf
Configuring Debugger (may take a few minutes on first launch)...
Failed: Operation was aborted
Initializing Register Database...
Initializing: CS_DAP_0
Executing Startup Scripts: CS_DAP_0
Initializing: CORTEX_M4_0
Executing Startup Scripts: CORTEX_M4_0
Connecting...
fatal: CORTEX_M4_0: Error connecting to the target: (Error -1063 @ 0x0) Device ID is not recognized or is not supported by driver. Confirm device and debug probe configuration is correct, or update device driver. (Emulation package 6.0.14.5) 
===================================

any help is appreciated, Daniel

Hi,

thanks a lot for your reply: "a little help from a friend..."

Unfortunately, I still get the following error message.

New is the line: "Failed: Operation was aborted". Does this mean something with linking is wrong?

Could it be that the firmware has been altered? Because the original out of the box code has also been erased or damaged by my first trial to download.

Here is the error message:

==================

>>>> Done <<<<
xcopy E:\P\energia-0101E0017\hardware\emt\ti\runtime\wiring\msp432\configPkg\package\cfg\energia_*.rov.xs . /Y 
E:\P\energia-0101E0017\hardware\emt\ti\runtime\wiring\msp432\configPkg\package\cfg\energia_pm4fg.rov.xs
1 Datei(en) kopiert
E:\P\energia-0101E0017\tools\common\DSLite\DebugServer\bin\DSLite load -c E:\P\energia-0101E0017\tools\common\DSLite\MSP432P401R.ccxml -f d:\tmp\build7606752871883565251.tmp\Blink.cpp.elf 
Failed: Operation was aborted
Configuring Debugger (may take a few minutes on first launch)...
Initializing Register Database...
Initializing: CS_DAP_0
Executing Startup Scripts: CS_DAP_0
Initializing: CORTEX_M4_0
Executing Startup Scripts: CORTEX_M4_0
Connecting...
fatal: CORTEX_M4_0: Error connecting to the target: (Error -1063 @ 0x0) Device ID is not recognized or is not supported by driver. Confirm device and debug probe configuration is correct, or update device driver. (Emulation package 6.0.14.5) 

==================

I then tried to update the programmer from Energia but I get the following message:

==========================

E:\P\energia-0101E0017\hardware\tools\msp430\mspdebug\mspdebug tilib --allow-fw-update "exit" 
MSPDebug version 0.22 - debugging tool for MSP430 MCUs
Copyright © 2009-2013 Daniel Beer <dlbeer@gmail.com>
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

MSP430_GetNumberOfUsbIfs
No unused FET found.
=================================

It seems like the LaunchPad is not recognized by windows. Does the LaunchPad show up in the Windows device manager under (Ports & LPT). You should see something like XDS110 Class Application / User UART (COMXX) and XDS110 Class Auxiliary Port (COMXX).

You probably already did so but just to make sure. Install the drivers from here: http://energia.nu/files/xds110_drivers.zipand follow the instructions under "MSP-EXP432P401R LaunchPad" on http://energia.nu/guide/guide_windows/.

Robert

Hello,

thanks for the response, it is greatly appreciated.

I happily :) arrived at a solution. It seemed that during the very first download some part of the memory was protected (I always suffer from too much security!)

What finally brought the solution was the unprotection of memory by the procedure described in the CodeComposer 6.1 manual: slau575B. On page 22, section 7 "Device Security" the procedure is described. The draw back is that you need CodeComposer to do this. Maybe it can also be done using the Cloud, but I am not sure.

There seems to be a further issue with  firmware versions. Having used Energia and then CodeComposer, the CodeComposer complains about the firmware:

=====================

Error connecting to the target:
(Error -1040 @ 0x0)
A firmware update is required for the debug probe. Click the "Update" button to update the firmware and connect to the debug target.
DO NOT UNPLUG THE DEBUG PROBE DURING THE UPDATE.
(Emulation package 6.0.83.1)
============================

You are given the choice to update the firmware, what works and afterwards, you can download from CodeComposer. However, Energia seems to undo this update and next time you use CodeComposer we have the same issue again. 

cheers, Daniel

Hello,

thanks for the response, it is greatly appreciated.

I happily :) arrived at a solution. It seemed that during the very first download some part of the memory was protected (I always suffer from too much security!)

What finally brought the solution was the unprotection of memory by the procedure described in the CodeComposer manual: slau575. On page 22, section 7 the procedure is described. The draw back is that you need CodeComposer to do this. Maybe it can also be done using the Cloud, but I am not sure.

One last question. I would like to add "Solved" to the title of this blog, so that other people with the same annoying problem know where to find a solution.How can I do this?

cheers, Daniel

Interesting! Thanks for sharing your solution.