Caesar

How to build Custom GUI for microcontroller?

Hi guys, I would like to get some suggestions from you guys on building a custom GUI for microcontrollers such as the msp430 launchpad or tiva c launchpad

Your guidance will be much appreciated.

:)

sorry guys, i was looking for building some GUI that allows me to communicate with the microcontroller through USB

by using programming languages 

Is that possible? 

Your advice and guidance are much appreciated :)

I think you have to provide a little bit more information on what you want to do.

I e.g. use C# to communicate via serial with the launchpad. This is straight forward by using the COM port which shows up when you connect the launchpad to your computer.

I think you have to provide a little bit more information on what you want to do.

I e.g. use C# to communicate via serial with the launchpad. This is straight forward by using the COM port which shows up when you connect the launchpad to your computer.

I would like to send commands from my laptop to the launchpad through a GUI interface by using a USB connection 

Besides that, I would like to learn how to build the GUi interface to make it work 

Any good advice/ suggestions? :)

@@Caesar I've actually just been doing something similar, I've been working on a simple fw_updater for use with AVRs over USB CDC. The basic requirements being needs a simple GUI.

Assuming you have a good grasp of programming, you can try writing your code in visual C++, The .net framework provide easy tools to develop GUI's. (I'm assuming you're on windows)

Here is a short video series I found that walks through how to make a basic Serial Transmit/Receive GUI application.

Otherwise You could always look at processing, It's probably the easiest/fastest way to get a GUI to communicate with a USB serial device.

There is some example code at the bottom of the page. https://processing.org/tutorials/electronics/

@@Caesar  Perhaps something like Visual Basic or Xojo ( http://www.xojo.com/) would do what you need.  I also remembered that @@username had once written a GUI for exercising the functions on a launchpad.  Used the forum search function and was able to find it.  Perhaps his efforts will give you the direction you need to create the type of interface you are looking for.  Here is the link to the thread:  http://forum.43oh.com/topic/1858-msp430-pc-gui-eval-tool/

I have been thinking about this topic as well.

Over Christmas break,I started learning Kivy. I chose it because I decided that I wanted to program in Python and it seemed more suitable than tkinter, Qt or WX. <shrug>

A secondary benefit is that kivy programs will run on mobile platforms as well as desktops.

The next challenge for became the choice of a serial port communication protocol. I did not want to start from scratch. I came across a lot of industrial protocols but, at this moment, I am looking into VSCP

In the end, the real challenge is determining what problem I am trying to solve before coming up with a solution!

What problem are you trying to solve?

I have been thinking about this topic as well.

Over Christmas break,I started learning Kivy. I chose it because I decided that I wanted to program in Python and it seemed more suitable than tkinter, Qt or WX. <shrug>

A secondary benefit is that kivy programs will run on mobile platforms as well as desktops.

The next challenge for became the choice of a serial port communication protocol. I did not want to start from scratch. I came across a lot of industrial protocols but, at this moment, I am looking into VSCP

In the end, the real challenge is determining what problem I am trying to solve before coming up with a solution!

What problem are you trying to solve?

Hi Zeke, I would like to create a Windows application with GUI to communicate with my launchpad via USB (such as clicking on UI buttons to activate certain functions or sending some characters from the application to the launchpad -> LCD)
I noticed that the Visual Studio seems to be capable on doing it by using a virtual COM port, but I am not sure how should I perform the setup in order to communicate with my Launchpad (correct me if I make any mistakes)

Do you have any idea on it? 

Your help and advice will be much appreciate :)

Hi Zeke, I would like to create a Windows application with GUI to communicate with my launchpad via USB (such as clicking on UI buttons to activate certain functions or sending some characters from the application to the launchpad -> LCD)
I noticed that the Visual Studio seems to be capable on doing it by using a virtual COM port, but I am not sure how should I perform the setup in order to communicate with my Launchpad (correct me if I make any mistakes)

Do you have any idea on it? 

Your help and advice will be much appreciate :)

No problem in .net ... simply use

System.IO.Ports.SerialPort

for communication.

For example like:

//OPEN PORT

serialPort1.PortName = "COM1"; //whatever the Launchpads COM-Port is ...
serialPort1.BaudRate = 9600; 
serialPort1.Open();

//SENDING
if (serialPort1.IsOpen)
{
serialPort1.WriteLine("some text");
}

//CLOSING
if (serialPort1.IsOpen)
{
serialPort1.Close();
}

sorry guys, i was looking for building some GUI that allows me to communicate with the microcontroller through USB

by using programming languages 

Is that possible? 

Your advice and guidance are much appreciated :)

PC side is open source and it is working on Win. In source code you can find functions for USB communication with MSP430 device by CDC.

http://forum.43oh.com/topic/3909-msp430f550x-based-logic-analyzer/?p=65839

@@Caesar,

Firmata is another method of getting your toes wet with GUI control of a launchpad.

From what I can tell, there aren't many open source GUI applications out there to interact with a TI LaunchPad.

This tells me that there could be an opportunity for an enterprising person to fill this void.

I would recommend test driving some of the ideas mentioned above and see which one resonates with you and your comfort level.

Feel free to ask more questions. We will cheer you on as you learn and grow in your knowledge and skill.