Sign in to follow this  
lxbru

I2C with master MSP Launchpad

Hi everyone! I am trying to get a PAC1710 chip as a slave working with the MSP430G2553. I am having a ton of trouble doing so and can't seem to even get the address of the slave for the msp. I am going off of the master_reader code as an example. My first question is I know that you need to give the slave an address but I am not sure how to do so. On the data sheet of the pac1710, the address is as follows - 0011000. 

Thanks!

Hi

You can use the 'I2C address scanner sketch' to find out the address of your PAC1710 and to check the communication. The sketch was posted here some time ago.
Regarding the address you can trust the data sheet in 99% of the cases. If the IC is not responding to the address scanner you maybe have a problem with the pull up resistors on SDA and SCL !?

EDIT: http://forum.43oh.com/topic/5473-i2c-scanner-for-2553-5529/

Hi

You can use the 'I2C address scanner sketch' to find out the address of your PAC1710 and to check the communication. The sketch was posted here some time ago.

Regarding the address you can trust the data sheet in 99% of the cases. If the IC is not responding to the address scanner you maybe have a problem with the pull up resistors on SDA and SCL !?

EDIT: http://forum.43oh.com/topic/5473-i2c-scanner-for-2553-5529/

Great thanks! I'll check it out. But about the datasheet address, can I enter in that value of "0011000" or does it need to have a specific address # 1, 2, 3, etc? And if it needs to have a single value, how can I convert the 7 digit bit string into a normal integer?

As you can see in the data sheet the address is determined by the resistor on pin ADDR_SEL (or by leaving it unconnected) .... so you can just take this number as an integer ... If you are not sure just try the I2C scanner and you will get the address as an integer value.