fgsm

Error communicating with MSP432

I just got a new launchpad MSP432. I followed the Energia Website to install the driver and it looks to be correctly installed but when I try to send any sketch, even a new one without any programming, I receive the following message:

the selected serial port does not exist or your board is not connected.

Error: Unable to load ..\..\..\emulation\tpi\tpi_cs_dap.dll: The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

Failed: Unable to load ..\..\..\emulation\tpi\tpi_cs_dap.dll: The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

As the Enegia tutorial says, I selected the UART port when looking to the Device Manager.

I have a Windows 10 and It is working fine with Arduino.

Could someone help me?

Thanks.

Hi bluehash.

Yes I selected the correct board and when I go to the windows device manager I can see two COMs as expected. I selected the COM listed as UART. As it was not working, I also tried the other one, but also did not work.

I decided to install Energia in an old PC, also with Windows 10, and it worked. The difference is one is 64 bits and the old is 32 bits.

It looks to me that something is wrong in the 64 bits drive.

Thanks for your help.

Hi bluehash.

Yes I selected the correct board and when I go to the windows device manager I can see two COMs as expected. I selected the COM listed as UART. As it was not working, I also tried the other one, but also did not work.

I decided to install Energia in an old PC, also with Windows 10, and it worked. The difference is one is 64 bits and the old is 32 bits.

It looks to me that something is wrong in the 64 bits drive.

Thanks for your help.

I know quite a few who are running Energia on 64bit. The difference might be between W7 and W10. I'll wait for someone who works with Energia and have experience with it respond.

A: which version of Energia?

B: Which board did you select under "Tools | Board"?

Energia itself won't ask you for a COM: port... it's only the "Serial port" menu item that needs that.

Everything is working fine here with Win10 64bit and Energia 16 (0101E0016).

Side by side errors (SXS) shouldn't happen. They might happen, though, if things are symlink to somewhere else... folder redirection things... but even then Energia shouldn't throw an error like that since it is self-contained with its own Java VM... unless it's been extracted into a redirected folder, but even then shouldn't.

Everything is working fine here with Win10 64bit build 10586 (latest insider preview), and Energia (0101E0016)... just tested with the basic blink sketch to be sure.

In the PC that it is not worrking: Win10 64bit and Energia 16 (0101E0016). Windows in English.

In the PC that it is working: Win10 32bit and Energia 16 (0101E0016). Windows in Portuguese.

I selected at both cases LaunchPad w/ msp432 EMT (48MHz). The number of COM ports are different in each computer, but in both cases I selected the option UART when looking at the Windows Device Manager.

Thanks.

"XDS110 Class Application/ User UART" is used by the serial monitor window in Energia.

The other "XDS110" device is the debug probe. On my computer, Energia finds it automatically.

Back to the SxS issue. Windows tries to maintain 'side by side' components that it can call based on what version of something a program needs. This could be related to a driver installation issue. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers?

I have recently encountered this problem too. My device drivers seems to be properly installed and I have selected the correct device, but I am unable to upload a blank sketch. Note that I am running 64-bit Windows 8.1.

BDE6dce.jpg

Looking at the application event log, I see the following error:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\energia-0101E0016\tools\common\DSLite\emulation\tpi\tpi_cs_dap.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.MFC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

It seems that x86 MFC run-time is not installed by default on newer systems. I downloaded and installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) and I was able to compile and upload my sketch to the device.