Sign in to follow this  
hiatus138

Radio Shack's recent campaign

I know you all have seen the recent radio shack ad campaign, about how they are embracing makers and diy-ers. I went in there the other day, and was pleasantly surprised to see that they had trebled the size of the components/tools/diy section! They now have a couple dozen kits from velleman and others, copper clad pcb and protoboards in many sizes and shapes, lots of project boxes and test equipment, anda lot of new components, like ic sockets, chip puller tool, and all that jazz.

I was quite excited to see that perhaps the ads, and the poll they did on makezine, were being followed up on.

I live in portland, OR, and I happen to live near the store that is known to all the other RS in town as "the diy branch" ie the one that has the most diy stuff in portland, so I don't know how well the rest of the country is being handled. However, I did go check in at 2 other radio shacks, and they had both done the same!

I am excited about this turn of events!

The stuff still _is_ expensive, but I just consider it the price I pay to have relatively obscure products (not obscure to diy-ers, but to the general public) available to me locally. No shipping costs, or long wait for delivery. Like buying a gallon of milk at the gas station instead of the grocery store.

Has anyone else noticed this in their town?

Wnat are all your thoughts on this? Someone on HaD said it was "too little, too late". I don't think thats the case. It may be too late to win back some of us, but there's always another generation of hackers just getting their toes wet.

I'll swing by my local RS too. One of the guys working there is the son of a former RS franchise owner, back when they did that kind of thing. He hates that he sells cell phones and not a single 74 series chip.

in the next week i will be stopping by a RS to see what they have, i always check to see what goodies they have on clearance....recent clearance has been Light to frequency chips and RFID readers, but who knows what else they now have with this new info

thanks for the heads up :)