Sign in to follow this  
nuetron

The Gaming Thread!

This is just a thread for people to talk about games they like, for instance TeamFortess2.

Personally, I like HalfLife2 mods, like:

ModularCombat, "Want a jetpack? teleport? cloak? pet manhacks?" Can be played DM or PvM (Players vs. Monsters).

Synergy, a Co-op for the HL2 single player maps.

Sadly, my computer (mostly video card) is too old for modern games. I bought Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 (a video game version of the collectible card game Magic the Gathering that I play) from Steam, only to find out it wouldn't play on my system. You'd think Steam would be able to figure out your system's specs since it's installed and everything.

Steam's pretty good about refunding, but I'll probably upgrade soon. Guess I'll keep it until then. :?

:) HL2 Mods are always fun....even better is i run steam through wine and can play HL2/portal TF2 even under the high graphics modes......

Desktop linux users! WHOOO HIGH FIVES AND PATS ON THE BACK ALL AROUND :)

(Very jealous on the high graphics settings, though. Can't get that without chopping.)

Sadly, my computer (mostly video card) is too old for modern games. I bought Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 (a video game version of the collectible card game Magic the Gathering that I play) from Steam, only to find out it wouldn't play on my system.

Well, if you can't wait for a whole new system, you could always just put in a new video card. Even humble 300W power supplies can take a GT240 or Radeon 5670, as long as you have a PCIe port. My friend and I got the former, plays StarCraft II and TF2 like a dream with the usual caveats.

You'd think Steam would be able to figure out your system's specs since it's installed and everything.

Steam displays your specs under Help > System Information, if I remember correctly. Maybe warning people with older hardware would hurt sales? :P

Ummmm, any PnP players here?

Well, if you can't wait for a whole new system, you could always just put in a new video card. Even humble 300W power supplies can take a GT240 or Radeon 5670, as long as you have a PCIe port. My friend and I got the former, plays StarCraft II and TF2 like a dream with the usual caveats.

Actually, I bought a used, but decent video card from a coworker; PCI-Express16. Turns out my power supply doesn't have the video card power connector! I'll buy a new PSU soon as I get back from my impending business trip. :D

System Requirements

Windows XP, Vista, or 7

512 MB RAM

1 Ghz or faster processor

Intel Mac, OS X version Leopard 10.5.8, Snow Leopard 10.6.3, or later.

Two-button mouse strongly recommended

1GB HD space (recommended)

Internet connection (broadband recommended)

I noticed they don't say anything about video cards...but this is just for steam itself.

I'm a pretty avid gamer. Games I've been playing recently:

Battlefield Bad Company 2 multiplayer

CoD Black Ops multiplayer

Supreme Commander

Frozen Synapse

I play one or more of those almost daily, and I play a whole mess of other games ranging from Angry Birds to Silent Hunter a little less frequently.

I refuse to play WoW though, sounds like digital crack.

I've got fairly decent hardware:

Sandy Bridge i7 2600K overclocked

8G RAM

SSD OS disk

2x physical HDD's in RAID0 for speed

2x GTX 260's in SLI

24" 1920x1200 monitor

I claim 0 dependents on my taxes during the year, and often use the resultant tax refund to upgrade my box. I think I'll have to upgrade the GPU's next spring, but they still run most games at max settings/res. It's an expensive hobby for a college student.

Meh, WoW is a bit overrated, I got bored of it in less than 3 months.

Yes, I know that all the PvP action and the rest good stuff and instances come after that, but I couldn't help it.

Now (the last ~5+ years) I mainly play HoN and before that DotA.

It's a very hard game with a many fans and players. The reason that I don't get bored is that in contrast with many MMORPGs that exist today, this doesn't require you to farm countless hours, ricing stuff and doing boring quests etc. (and because my pc is a bit old now :D)

Each game lasts for about ~30 to 45 minutes.

It's fast, requires much teamplay and communication, and basically, knowing your own potential, role and place while trying to coexist with (usually 4, depending on the map) more teammates.

Also I'm replaying S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC these days because I just love it's atmosphere!

Yes, the closed beta was epic!

The players were nicer and the community was way smaller, good times.

Btw, I don't have a headset either, and I've learned a bit of XML trying to mod stuff :P

Also, you're destined to suck at this game the first couple of months at least.

07learningcurve.jpg

After that is where the fun starts!