booraroom

Energia 0101EE0016: "Incompatible XDS110 firmware detected"

Hi all,

I just cracked open a new MSP-EXP432P401R launchpad.

I started using it on my (Windows 7) PC, at which point the (freshly-downloaded) CCS asked me to update the debug probe's firmware, which I then did (it is now running version 2.2.4.2 according to xdsdfu). I was then able to download/run/single-step code written in CCS on the target, so far so good.

I then started looking into getting a similar experience on my Mac Book Pro (running OS X 10.10.5). My first step was to install Energia 0101EE0016, and to try downloading/running the "blink" example sketch.

After clicking on the "upload" button, I get the following error message on the screen:

cp /Applications/Energia.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/msp432/configPkg/package/cfg/energia_*.rov.xs .
Initializing debug probe...
	Configuring Debugger (may take a few minutes on first launch)...:
		Initializing Register Database...
		Initializing: CS_DAP_0
		Executing Startup Scripts: CS_DAP_0
		Initializing: CORTEX_M4_0
		Executing Startup Scripts: CORTEX_M4_0
Connecting...
	Fatal: CS_DAP_0: Error connecting to the target: (Error -263 @ 0x0) Incompatible XDS110 firmware detected.  The firmware version of the connected XDS110 debug probe does not  match the expected version. Please update the firmware using the xdsdfu  utility found in  the .../ccs_base/common/uscif/xds110 directory of  your installation. View the ReadMe.txt file there for instructions. (Emulation package 5.1.630.0) 
Failed: Failed to evaluate GEL_Connect(): Connect failed

Unfortunately, this message doesn't give any indication of what version it's actually looking for, and so far my attempts at locating other firmware versions to try/compare have come up empty.

My first instinct was to search the help and menus for some way to update the firmware.  Trying to use the "Update Programmer" menu item led to a null pointer exception (bug? -- see below, I may have found the problem).

I then cloned the GitHub Energia repo to poke around. I found the code for the "Update Programmer", and it looks like the "null pointer" exception comes from the fact that the MSP432 board preferences file does not seem to have a "upload.protocol" entry, which is probably where the exception is coming from.  I then tried using "mspdebug" but had no luck, so I figure this part of the code is not intended to work with MSP432 (particularly since the Java class in question is called MSP430!).

I tried following the path used to program the device, and ran into a wall when I found that the above error message string seems to only be found in a .cfg file, so trying to find where the corresponding error code is being produced would become too onerous without some breadcrumbs to follow.

Which led me to write this post.

I'd appreciate if you could please help me take this to the next step. I'd like to be able to use my MBP for development (because of the mobility, as opposed to my desktop PC), but a problem like this would constitute a showstopper for me.

Thanks and looking forward to your suggestions,

-- Paul

Hi again,

Adding a bit more info to the above...

I tried using the DSLite executable directly to upload a file to the MSP432P401R flash, and I am able to reproduce the error exactly.

The following was done from the Terminal app:

my_cool_shell_prompt$ touch /tmp/dummy_file.bin
my_cool_shell_prompt$ ./DSLite -c ../../MSP432P401R.ccxml -f /tmp/dummy_file.bin -v 2
Initializing debug probe...
	Configuring Debugger (may take a few minutes on first launch)...:
		Initializing Register Database...
		Initializing: CS_DAP_0
		Executing Startup Scripts: CS_DAP_0
		Initializing: CORTEX_M4_0
		Executing Startup Scripts: CORTEX_M4_0
Connecting...
	Fatal: CS_DAP_0: Error connecting to the target: (Error -263 @ 0x0) Incompatible XDS110 firmware detected.  The firmware version of the connected XDS110 debug probe does not  match the expected version. Please update the firmware using the xdsdfu  utility found in  the .../ccs_base/common/uscif/xds110 directory of  your installation. View the ReadMe.txt file there for instructions. (Emulation package 5.1.630.0) 

So it would seem to me that the issue here is either an out-of-date DSLite shipped with Energia (which I assume is a light version of TI's DebugServer?), or I somehow need to find the "right" version of debug probe firmware to install into the device.

I'll continue to try and poke around, but any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-- Paul

Another follow-up...

I happened to have a _second_ MSP-EXP432P401R. I unpacked it a few minutes ago, plugged it in and tried using Energia to download the "Blink" sketch.

It worked!!  :D

I checked the firmware version on that one, it looks like Energia is meant to work with 2.2.4.0 (again, as reported by "xdsdfu -e").

So because I happened to have a second launchpad, I was able to make progress beyond this problem.

However, clearly I will not be able to interwork between CCS on Windows and Energia on Mac OS X, since each of these expects a different firmware version and refuses to proceed unless they match.

If I may suggest, I would recommend the following:

• The platforms/launchpads supported by Energia could be packaged as add-ons/plug-ins, so they can be added/removed without impacting the remainder of the Energia installation
  • It would be great if there were a way to allow multiple different versions of the tool chains to coexist, so that specific instances of the hardware, if/when they have differing versions of debug probe firmware, can be used without forcing a firmware upgrade/downgrade every time the module is moved from one machine to another.
    • I recognize that this can lead to some bloat of the installation, however (IMHO) the flexibility afforded by this approach outweighs the disk space requirements

Thanks for your attention, and I hope you can still give me some advice about how to move past this problem if I had _not_ had a second module.

Thanks,

-- Paul

As of right now, CCS doesn't support Energia sketches on the 432 so you wouldn't be able to utilize CCS' debug abilities for that.

However, you should be able to use Energia on both Windows and OSX without problems.

However, you should be able to use Energia on both Windows and OSX without problems.

Unfortunately this is not the case. I am getting the same error as booraroom

After a manual chmod +x xdsdfu I was able to check the firmware.

./xdsdfu -e

USB Device Firmware Upgrade Utility
Copyright (c) 2008-2014 Texas Instruments Incorporated.  All rights reserved.

Scanning USB buses for supported XDS110 devices...

<<<< Device 0 >>>>

VID: 0x0451    PID: 0xbef3
Device Name:   XDS110 with CMSIS-DAP
Version:       2.2.4.2
Manufacturer:  Texas Instruments
Serial Num:    00000000
Mode:          Runtime

Found 1 device.

I had the same problem: MSP432 LaunchPad worked fine with energia, used it with CCS and got a firmware update, it does not work with energia anymore (with energia 15 and 16). The error message was "Fatal: CS_DAP_0: Error connecting to the target: (Error -263 @ 0x0) Incompatible XDS110 firmware detected."

Just installed Energia 0101E0017 and the problem went away.

As @@schen mentioned, this has been fixed in Energia 17. If you are on Windows and downloaded the drivers from http://energia.nu/guide/guide_windows/ before1/7/2016 then please download the updated drivers and install them again. The previous driver set was missing the "firmware update" driver.

New drivers are available in the same place.

Robert