Sign in to follow this  
Fred

New TM4C Crypto Connected LaunchPad

The look like they are the same thing to me. Except this new one has a crypto peripheral and promotional pricing. Even if you ignore the ethernet all together, the 120MHz clock, 1MB flash/256 ram combo with all the pins broken out is not a bad deal.

-rick

I'm kind of partial to this one: http://www.ti.com/ww/en/launchpad/launchpads-connected-ek-tm4c129exl.html

Ethernet and 2x CAN, but it's not on sale at $24.99

that's the one we're discussing, the "129exl" which is on special sale for $16.99 (try adding that launchpad from your link to the TI estore cart, price shows up as $16.99 instead).  Better deal to buy right now...

The older one is more like $19.99 (normal price) and it's basically identical except it doesn't have the hardware crypto peripherals.  Both have Ethernet and CAN peripherals (and SPI, UART, I2C, etc).

I hope they post a version with the right-angle headers soon... doesn't look like the right-angle headers are available separately, only bundled and currently only bundled with the older TM4C1294https://store.ti.com/EK-TM4C1294XL-HDRS-TM4C1294-Connected-LaunchPad-and-Headers-Bundle-P5018.aspx

Actually this one does ship with the headers, see-

"

What's Included?

The TM4C Series Crypto Connected LaunchPad includes everything you need to get started with ARM Cortex-M4F IoT application development!

• TM4C Crypto Connected LaunchPad evaluation board (EK-TM4C129EXL PCBA w/ MCU)
  • 90 degree 49x2 breadboard connector
  • Retractable Ethernet cable
  • USB debug cable
  • Read Me First instructions"

that's the one we're discussing, the "129exl" which is on special sale for $16.99 (try adding that launchpad from your link to the TI estore cart, price shows up as $16.99 instead).  Better deal to buy right now...

The older one is more like $19.99 (normal price) and it's basically identical except it doesn't have the hardware crypto peripherals.  Both have Ethernet and CAN peripherals (and SPI, UART, I2C, etc).

I hope they post a version with the right-angle headers soon... doesn't look like the right-angle headers are available separately, only bundled and currently only bundled with the older TM4C1294https://store.ti.com/EK-TM4C1294XL-HDRS-TM4C1294-Connected-LaunchPad-and-Headers-Bundle-P5018.aspx

Actually this one does ship with the headers, see-

"

What's Included?

The TM4C Series Crypto Connected LaunchPad includes everything you need to get started with ARM Cortex-M4F IoT application development!

• TM4C Crypto Connected LaunchPad evaluation board (EK-TM4C129EXL PCBA w/ MCU)
  • 90 degree 49x2 breadboard connector
  • Retractable Ethernet cable
  • USB debug cable
  • Read Me First instructions"

Odd on that link fred gave - They do not show the CAN peripheral as a feature.

Odd on that link fred gave - They do not show the CAN peripheral as a feature.

Had to make sure I wasn't making a fool of myself there ... It does appear to have CAN, datasheet page 1480 - http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/spms441b/spms441b.pdf... page 1900 onward shows some CAN-related pin functions available on some pins.

Had to make sure I wasn't making a fool of myself there ... It does appear to have CAN, datasheet page 1480 - http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/spms441b/spms441b.pdf... page 1900 onward shows some CAN-related pin functions available on some pins.

Naw, I wouldn't think that, even if it were not the same one. But I did as you suggested, and added the one from the link I gave, and it checks out as $16.99. It's just odd that one of the major peripherals was not mentioned as a feature . . .

We ordered one. Be aware that with shipping, the price to get a board to the front door is $23.99 in the US . . . I thought TI did free shipping on their dev boards . . . regardless I've been seriously considering ordering one of these for a the last 2-3 days anyhow.

EDIT:

Also I'm assuming, like with the Beaglebone black. One needs a CAN transceiver to actually use the CAN peripheral.  If not, that would be good news, but I figured this board does not have one on it.

We ordered one. Be aware that with shipping, the price to get a board to the front door is $23.99 in the US . . . I thought TI did free shipping on their dev boards . . . regardless I've been seriously considering ordering one of these for a the last 2-3 days anyhow.

EDIT:

Also I'm assuming, like with the Beaglebone black. One needs a CAN transceiver to actually use the CAN peripheral.  If not, that would be good news, but I figured this board does not have one on it.

Yes, you need an external CAN transceiver.

And they did away with free shipping a while back... I think even a few months before the MSP432 came out.

Ugh!  You guys had to go and stoke my lust for new toys!

I have been waiting for this crypto functionality for the past four years.

My board arrived yesterday. But been posting a lot of material I have on the beaglebone( and still have a lot more ), and today I started screwing around with the ADC on the beaglebone - for the first time, in an attempt to help a beaglebooard.org google group user out . . . and am kind of having fun with that now hah ! So no idea when I'll get to it :/

EDIT:

For what it's worth, its a really nice looking board. But did not really expect anything less . . .