43oh

SPI with DMA for MSP432

Hi,

I'm a bit new to this...

I'm wanting to improve the performance of the SPI, I understand that using DMA is the best solution. 

Are their any example of SPI with DMA?

Currently without DMA, I have the SPI setup to send 1 byte at a time with:

SPI_transmitData(LCD_EUSCI_MODULE, data); 

What I want to do is change this so I can fill a buffer with bytes, then say Send. Once thats finished sending I want to fill the buffer again and send the next set of bytes.

I tried to use this code although it appears to hang at the last line!

DMA_enableModule(); 
DMA_setControlBase(m_controlTable); 

DMA_assignChannel(DMA_CH0_EUSCIB0TX0); 

DMA_disableChannelAttribute(DMA_CH0_EUSCIB0TX0, UDMA_ATTR_ALTSELECT | UDMA_ATTR_USEBURST | UDMA_ATTR_HIGH_PRIORITY | UDMA_ATTR_REQMASK); 

DMA_setChannelControl(UDMA_PRI_SELECT | DMA_CH0_EUSCIB0TX0, UDMA_SIZE_8 | UDMA_SRC_INC_8 | UDMA_DST_INC_8 | UDMA_ARB_8); 
DMA_setChannelTransfer(UDMA_PRI_SELECT | DMA_CH0_EUSCIB0TX0, UDMA_MODE_BASIC, m_data_array, (void*)SPI_getTransmitBufferAddressForDMA(EUSCI_B0_MODULE), 1024); 

DMA_assignInterrupt(DMA_INT1, 0); 
Interrupt_enableInterrupt(INT_DMA_INT1); 

?

I was planning to use the code above by filling the buffer "m_data_array" then calling DMA_enableChannel(0); although this didn't work.

How do i know when the buffer has been transmitted?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm a bit new to this...

I'm wanting to improve the performance of the SPI, I understand that using DMA is the best solution. 

Are their any example of SPI with DMA?

Currently without DMA, I have the SPI setup to send 1 byte at a time with:

SPI_transmitData(LCD_EUSCI_MODULE, data); 

What I want to do is change this so I can fill a buffer with bytes, then say Send. Once thats finished sending I want to fill the buffer again and send the next set of bytes.

I tried to use this code although it appears to hang at the last line!

DMA_enableModule(); 
DMA_setControlBase(m_controlTable); 

DMA_assignChannel(DMA_CH0_EUSCIB0TX0); 

DMA_disableChannelAttribute(DMA_CH0_EUSCIB0TX0, UDMA_ATTR_ALTSELECT | UDMA_ATTR_USEBURST | UDMA_ATTR_HIGH_PRIORITY | UDMA_ATTR_REQMASK); 

DMA_setChannelControl(UDMA_PRI_SELECT | DMA_CH0_EUSCIB0TX0, UDMA_SIZE_8 | UDMA_SRC_INC_8 | UDMA_DST_INC_8 | UDMA_ARB_8); 
DMA_setChannelTransfer(UDMA_PRI_SELECT | DMA_CH0_EUSCIB0TX0, UDMA_MODE_BASIC, m_data_array, (void*)SPI_getTransmitBufferAddressForDMA(EUSCI_B0_MODULE), 1024); 

DMA_assignInterrupt(DMA_INT1, 0); 
Interrupt_enableInterrupt(INT_DMA_INT1); 

?

I was planning to use the code above by filling the buffer "m_data_array" then calling DMA_enableChannel(0); although this didn't work.

How do i know when the buffer has been transmitted?

Check this out for a simple working example: https://e2e.ti.com/support/microcontrollers/msp430/f/166/t/425881