Sign in to follow this  
yyrkoon

Concept: CANBus to ethernet "bridge"

No I had not seen either one, but both designs seem rather overly complex. The first one you linked for example, in the diagram has an M4 connected board, *AND* that TIDA<whatever> CAN + ethernet board (connected via CAN + 120ohm resistor ). . . when all one really needs is one of the ~$.55 @1ku CAN transceivers, and probably a few additional components.  The second link mentions the same TIDA*board, with a link to "buy now" but when clicking on it it just takes the user down to a list of components . . .

SO I think while the information is probably still useful, the laid out projects are a bit ridiculous.

@@yyrkoon - Irrespective the costs, I only posted them for information's sake thinking maybe you could glean a bit of information about possible solutions. Overall, TI Designs does not publish non-working reference designs so you at least have a working "proof of concept" that maybe you can adapt to or work with towards your goal.

:)

@@yyrkoon - Irrespective the costs, I only posted them for information's sake thinking maybe you could glean a bit of information about possible solutions. Overall, TI Designs does not publish non-working reference designs so you at least have a working "proof of concept" that maybe you can adapt to or work with towards your goal.

:)

True enough. Just know that If I did not think your comment had merit, I would not have liked it ;) The information provided form those links looks pretty interesting at the least. But I've been too busy hunting down another "ghost" to notice much anything else really. e.g. using Userspace I/O ( Linux ) in a way that now seems to make no sense. . . .

True enough. Just know that If I did not think your comment had merit, I would not have liked it ;) The information provided form those links looks pretty interesting at the least. But I've been too busy hunting down another "ghost" to notice much anything else really. e.g. using Userspace I/O ( Linux ) in a way that now seems to make no sense. . . .

I admit initially, I did think there was some negative connotation to your comment but then I realized this is the Internet and text doesn't always convey the intent behind it. That's why I put the smiley at the end of the other post.

I sincerely wish you good luck in your endeavors. Wish I were a Linux geek so I could help you on that front but I'm busy enough figuring out Windows.

:D

Oh . . . I've been using both MS OSes, and Linux since the early 90's . . . I know both fairly well.

As far as connotation goes . . . there really is none. To be 100% blunt, I'm kind of indifferent about all this right now. If I wasn't then I'd be off chasing another project down a rabbit hole . . . which is not something I need right now heh.

Oh . . . I've been using both MS OSes, and Linux since the early 90's . . . I know both fairly well.

As far as connotation goes . . . there really is none. To be 100% blunt, I'm kind of indifferent about all this right now. If I wasn't then I'd be off chasing another project down a rabbit hole . . . which is not something I need right now heh.

At least it's "rabbit" and not "rabid".

/me runs and hides. :D

I think an Ethernet-CAN sign a Connected Launchpad would be useful and less expensive.  :-)

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but I've got a project to do just this. I was working on it a bit last year and it stalled for a number of reasons, but I'm firing it back up. I've got the hard part of handling CAN on the Launchpad done (with some impressive performance results), I just need to finish a CAN<->Ethernet daemon to deliver the traffic to a host. I would use socketcand, but it had no facility for configuring the CAN interfaces. I started on something previously, but it may be a bit too heavyweight and I'm about to revisit the design and knock something out that's relatively simple. 

If anybody would be interested in helping/following along, drop me a line and let me know.

I know I'm a little late to this thread, but I've got a project to do just this. I was working on it a bit last year and it stalled for a number of reasons, but I'm firing it back up. I've got the hard part of handling CAN on the Launchpad done (with some impressive performance results), I just need to finish a CAN<->Ethernet daemon to deliver the traffic to a host. I would use socketcand, but it had no facility for configuring the CAN interfaces. I started on something previously, but it may be a bit too heavyweight and I'm about to revisit the design and knock something out that's relatively simple. 

If anybody would be interested in helping/following along, drop me a line and let me know.

feel free to post here if you want, however I think the tiva section would be a better place to post on it. I would also be interested in reading about what you're doing and perhaps how.

Our own CAN project is personally on the back burner, but it's still on my mind, a lot.