GeekDoc

Share pics of your workspace setup

I love to see other people's workdesks:

- Why you no use other screen? dual screens are awesome!

- Lots of air blasters(3)

- Are you a musician?

- Looks like you took the pic after working late/long hours.

- I do often use the dual screens. The second monitor is on an arm that I can extend. I think I pushed it back a couple days ago when I was messing with something that took up a lot of space. I usually keep the my IDE on the main, and documents, etc. on the second.

- About the air blasters -- bought one, realized it didn't have the red tube, so I just figured I'd buy another with a tube. Then, the gf's parents got me one as part of a christmas present. I thought that was a weird gift. I guess they really think I'm a geek!

- I've played guitar for a long time, had some electronic drums for awhile, but that angered the neighbors so I sold them. I'm not great, but I'm alright, and I really enjoy playing. I like learning the more technical details about digital recording. I've used many types of music production software. Even though I don't have any formal experience or education on the matter, I feel like I'd make an alright sound engineer in a studio. Maybe.

- I do stay up late a lot working on stuff. I'm sort of a night owl. The fact that I always have several personal projects going and that I like to bounce between them really adds to the clutter. A few half-finished projects each with their own breadboard, printouts, and mess of wires get messy quick. Even when I clean, I don't want to stuff them somewhere, so clean usually still is messy.

Well, since we're all measuring one another :shock: here's my workspace.

Someday, I'll be able to afford walls. The kitties won't be able to sleep on my workbench then! 8-)

Here's the command center. An Ikea Jerker that I got for free off of Kijiji:

post-955-135135494955_thumb.jpg

Flames happen here. Okay, I measure the amount of magic smoke I let out:

post-955-135135494969_thumb.jpg

Tiny parts go on and come off on this bench when it's not a crap storage area. I love my Leica microscope. I can see into my skin with it :ugeek: :

post-955-135135494962_thumb.jpg

I've got one more photo.

I shooped this one for you all.

Notice anything?

Eh? Eh? ;);) Knudge Knudge, Say no more, Say no more!

post-955-135135494974_thumb.jpg

I got the Leica when the local Flextronics manufacturing facility shut down last year. They sold a warehouse full of stuff for 10 cents on the dollar. I got the Leica for $100. I got a dual wand Metcal soldering iron for $60. All together, I spent $1000 that day. I had to use a pickup truck to get it all home :D

All three white computers on the bottom shelf are just in storage. The one on the bottom left is my first Linux computer - a 486dx100! I think it's still running an ancient Slackware version that I loaded onto it with ~50 1.44Meg floppies. Holy crap! It's 18 years old! :shock:

Only the black ones (four) are turned on:

- XP (eng dev),

- Win7 (everything else),

- CentOS (pbx) and

- Ubuntu (webserver)

I'm surprised that no one noticed all my TI dev kits yet.

I'm proud of that shelf. :mrgreen:

Those are repurposed TAIT radio boxes.

They were going into the dumpster at work. I grabbed them when I noticed how well they fit into their larger box.

I put big electronic components into them.

Things like this:

post-955-135135495247_thumb.jpg

Man, I need an o-scope! :(

*jealous*

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/preord ... 9d61e846ee

Pocket sized 4 ch scope. Comes out May 15th and I will be ordering one.

Analog channel * 2 : [CH_A] [CH_B];

Digital channel * 2 : [CH_C] [CH_D];

Vertical Scale: 20mV-10V/div (x1 probe);

Vertical solution: 8 bit ;

Input coupling: AC/DC ;

Max input voltage: 80Vpp (x1 probe);

Storage: 4K per channel

Software trigger type: edge, pulse, level (to be added)

Hardware trigger type: edge

Trigger source: CH1/CH2/EXT

Test Signal generater: 10Hz to 1Mhz

Storage: internal 2MB USB disk

Auto measure: Vmax, Vmin, Vpp, Vavr, Vrms, Freq, Period, Pulse, Duty

Cursor measurement: Level, Voltage

Display mode: CH1, CH2, EXT, CH1+CH2, CH1-CH2, CH1*CH2

Sampling mode: real time

Sampling rate: 1kSa/s - 72MSa/S

Power: Lipo battery

Dimension: 98 * 60 * 14.5

Weight: 80g (without battery)

Accesories within Pack: 2 mueller mcx osilloscope probe, 2 digital probe,

They also have a one channel that is $80

I ended up buying an Xprotolab from Gabotronics. (Support those sponsors! :D )

It was only $40US, and it's a very nice piece of kit! I'm sure I'll want a 'proper' o-scope in the future (Rigol - $400US), but this will do everything I need for now (2ch scope, wave form generator, etc.).

Okay, I started this mess, so here goes:

WorkArea_thumb.jpg

This is a five or six-foot folding table (good story how I got it free...). The only things that are unusual are things I made myself, and the small parts binder.

The small parts binder has a bunch of 3.5" floppy diskette (remember those?) pocket pages. I keep resistors separated by value this way (up to ~20 pieces per pocket), also LEDs, transistors, diodes, flat capacitors, etc.. Electrolytic capacitors tend to fall out (too thick). I also have a few CD-ROM pocket pages for bulkier amounts/sizes (electrolytic capacitors, large packs of small components). I keep reference pages on the covers. I found this idea on the interwebs; it works great.

I made the rack for the breadboard leads/test leads out of a leftover piece of ~3/32" acrylic. I heated it, bent it, and cut slots in it with my "Dremel". Keeps them out of the way and handy.

I also made a wall mount for my DMM. It has storage slots for the probes on the back of the rubber cover, but nothing to coil the leads. I glued some dowels to a piece of MDF and screwed it to the wall. Again, out of the way, but handy.

You can't see it in the photo, but my homemade magnifying light/fume fan has a 60mm computer fan mounted just under the magnifying lens to suck soldering fumes away. Works okay, but not great. In the fan's bottom screw holes, I mounted some bright white LEDs to light my work. Again, okay, but not great. You'll notice I have a cheap LED "camping light" ($1.75 from Meritline.com) stuck on there too. I use that for extra light wherever I need it.

Programming is usually done upstairs, at my desk. If I need it in the basement, I bring my "mobile tinkering" setup.

That's my stuff. Your turn, you voyeurs!

-Doc

Everything on one DESK. ;)