Sign in to follow this  
none

Off-Presso?

About halfway through a pack of ground espresso stored in a opaque container with screw-on lid (Illy) at room temperature (appr. 23

Ground coffee definitely does oxidize. The coffee snobs insist on using it within 15 minutes of grinding. The airtight container doesn't make a ton of difference, the problem is surface area. Once it's ground, there's plenty of air in between all those grains of coffee to oxidize it, even in an airtight container. The oxygen gets replaced every time you open it anyway.

Those sealed cans of folgers etc. are packed with nitrogen or co2, cant remember which, if they aren't vacuum packed.

Exactly what hiatus138 says. Espresso-ground coffee is nearly powder, allowing maximum surface area.

Can you cut back on the amount you buy and buy more frequently?

Just my $0.02

My friend works at a pretty nice coffee shop and he told me the reason you don't store coffee in the fridge is because it acts like baking soda, taking on all the flavors/smells of the other stuff in the fridge. Not entirely related to what you're saying, but maybe somewhat relevant.