43oh

TI - USB Firmware Upgrade Example + Energia

Hi,

I made a custom board with MSP430F5529. Everything seems to work well. 

I wanted to upload program from Energia with the firmware upgrade tool provide by TI (USB Firmware Upgrade Example software). So, as the app allows to upload a custom firmware, I tried to upload .hex or .elf generated by Energia in /TEMP folder (windows) but the app crashes during the programmation (Erasing happens without problem).

Any idea about this problem ?

Regards

Hi,

I made a custom board with MSP430F5529. Everything seems to work well. 

I wanted to upload program from Energia with the firmware upgrade tool provide by TI (USB Firmware Upgrade Example software). So, as the app allows to upload a custom firmware, I tried to upload .hex or .elf generated by Energia in /TEMP folder (windows) but the app crashes during the programmation (Erasing happens without problem).

Any idea about this problem ?

Regards

Can you run the hex file generated by Energia and run it through CCS's hex430 tool?

It will be in C:\ti\ccsv6\tools\compiler\msp430_4.3.3\bin

Huuumm I don't know why, but 430 hex utility is not available in my CCS6 :o

I found another guy on ti's forum with the samed problem (but no solutions).

Anyway I converted my hex with python-msp430-tools, but it still crashes ... I converted it to Ti-txt format, but there is a Ti-tagged format too. I will try it ...

And I failed to use python-msp430-tools to upload it. I will continu to investigate too ...

How you know that everything on your custom board regarding USB is working well?

There are some (P1.0 blink, HID, CDC...) prepared TI txt files for MSP430F5529 with TI Firmware Upgrade Example, and you can try it. There is also older non-python Win version of TI Firmware Upgrade Example that is working just fine. And use TI txt files that are working for sure with any software / hardware tools.

It's the win version I am using and talking about sine the beginning.

I already did that, it's I said everything about USB seems to work well. If I used PUR button or routine suggested in TI application note, BSL is well launched and I can update files provides in the software (CDC, blink ...). 

By clicking on browse, open dialog will offer only *.txt file type, so I guess that txt format is only supported format for TI Firmware Upgrade Example.

I am not using Energia, but there must be somewhere option for txt otput format like in IAR and CCS.

http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Generating_and_Loading_MSP430_Binary_Files

Or some extra cmd line tool for converting to txt format.

https://www.olimex.com/forum/index.php?topic=658.0

I finally found it :)

So, I used srecord : http://sourceforge.net/projects/srecord/?source=typ_redirect

I don't know why, but conversion with python-msp430y-tools is not good : I compared files generated by each of them, and it's not the same result ... Syntax seems to be the same but hex values are not ...

To make conversion (on windows), I simply dezipped srecord in my c: disk, and copied my .hex in the same folder. After I launched a command line prompt, and type :

srec_cat test.hex -i -o Firmware.txt -titxt

my hex was obviously named test.hex, and ti-txt generated is called firmware.txt and located in the same folder.

To make it easier, I made a .bat file with this command (for neophytes, just create a text file, type the previous command in it and rename the file with a .bat extension instead of .txt, after you just have to double-click on it to automatically make a conversion from a .hex named test.hex).

After this conversion upload by BSL and TI firmware upgrade tool worked perfectly ;)