Sign in to follow this  
Druzyek

MSP430 camera interfacing

I'd like to interface a camera with decent resolution to an MSP430 but I'm not having any luck finding one. Ideally the camera would have at least 5MP, although around 10MP would be better. I know none of the models of MSP430 have enough memory to receive all that image data so I would plan on buffering it into some kind of external memory or SD card. The problem is that everything I have found so far has either about 2MP resolution or communicates over USB. Do any of you have experience with something like this? I would also be willing to reuse a digital camera if that is possible.

There is a camera boosterpack reference design. Details in this thread.

Neat! Thanks for that. It's a good starting place.

Maybe switch the camera module to a higher MP one.

I would like to do that but everything I find is only 2-3MP, including the one on that Boosterpack and the OV3660 it can be switched out for.

I suggest bumping your processor to CC3200. You get processing power to transfer images from camera to a sdcard. 

Also a good idea. I suspect I might eventually need something beefier than an MSP430 anyway.

Yeah MSP430 wouldn't be my first choice of a platform for processing or even storing image data... unless the framerate required is really, really low.

I'm just trying to take decent quality still pictures. I won't need to do video and images can be stored in raw format with no processing.

I would never use a camera with msp430 (and maybe not even a color display)... Really, an ARM cortex is better suited when it come to GUI, display and camera and storage (SD card).

Thats a good question, i never really understood how to find camera to be interfaced to mcu. If someone could explain me how to search for one... What term to use for search, website to buy some, which one are easy to solder/interface...

This is probably obvious to everyone, but... If you don't mind a bulky solution, and don't need the image to pass through the microcontroller, then a low tech way to get high quality images into a SD card is to hack a shutter release (I bought a cheap wireless one for my Nikon that works OK) for a DSLR or other camera that can accept one. Then have the microcontroller close the switch instead of your thumb.

Now, don't expect high quality pictures!

Isn't that a 2MP sensor on there? 640x480 is only 0.3MP, right? I was hoping for decent pictures by getting the 5MP version. Also, do you know if you can skip the jpg stage and get raw data from it?