43oh

Hello All,

The library @ https://github.com/rodan/ds3231seems to be working for msp430f5529 - I had to make little chances to the code:

if (Serial.available() > 0) { in = Serial.read();   if ((in == 10 || in == 13) && (recv_size > 0)) { parse_cmd(recv, recv_size); recv_size = 0; recv[0] = 0;

I had to change the in == 10 || in == 13 part with in == '#', the reason being is energia serial console seems to not send the linefeed properly. so instead of enter, I press #.

There is also the library @ https://github.com/JChristensen/DS3232RTCwhich seems a little nicer. However it uses this macro _BV and it gives compile errors because of that. Tomorrow, I will continue trying and post the results.

The module I am using is a mini RTC pro (http://www.dx.com/p/high-accuracy-ds3231-module-w-temperature-battery-blue-168974)

I am also concerned about whether this is a 3.3V or 5V module, right now I am feeding it with 3.3V and it seems working. The DS3231 chip is 3.3V, but the module has some extra components (maybe it is a ldo)

any ideas, help, and recomendations greatly appreciated.

Best,

C.

@@spirilis it was around 7USD.

The module is: 

sku_168974_1.jpg

and the schematic is:

50pcs-lot-mini_rtcpro-ds3231-high-precis

now I am curious about this, what is exactly happening when I power this module with 3.3V? It has this LDO like regulator, and a diode, so it will further drop the voltage.

It seems to be working ok with 3.3V, but I wonder if I will run into problems later on.

Best regards,

C.A.

@@spirilis it was around 7USD.

The module is: 

sku_168974_1.jpg

and the schematic is:

50pcs-lot-mini_rtcpro-ds3231-high-precis

now I am curious about this, what is exactly happening when I power this module with 3.3V? It has this LDO like regulator, and a diode, so it will further drop the voltage.

It seems to be working ok with 3.3V, but I wonder if I will run into problems later on.

Best regards,

C.A.

I believe at worst, the coin cell will start powering the unit so the coin cell battery backup won't last as long.  Though I'm not sure if it'll afflict the logic portion.

What does have me curious, is how cheap that is--since the DS3231 chip itself in single qty's from most retailers is about the price of that whole board.  You should do some tests on its accuracy to see if it's a real DS3231 or some knockoff.

@@spirilis how that is bad news. so it could be a fake ds3231? below is a high resolution image that i just shot. what can I do to figure out if it is fake or not?

also the battery is bad news also, I am building all the stuff with 3.3V, and if the LDO drops too much, then it will be powered by battery. Also the battery seems not rechargable, which is also a big problem.

any ideas where I can get a RTC module, with 3.3V supply, and rechargable battery or supercapacitor?

Best regards,

C.

P1020608.1439390751.JPG

• 2 months later...

G'day.

I use http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-1PCS-DS3231-AT24C32-IIC-Precision-RTC-Real-Time-Clock-Memory-Module-For-Arduino-new/32314358327.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.22.FmLETU&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_7_71_72_73_74_75,searchweb201527_5,searchweb201560_9

This runs on 3v3 plus gives you a bit of EE RAM (all for under a dollar)

But you could also remove IC3 and link the pins, plus link out the D1, on your mini pro rtc board.

Grant