43oh

Energia IDE menu font ?

Which font is used in the Energia IDE menu in Windows ?

Asking because I normally disable OS font smoothing on large, medium DPI monitors and the menu font looks particularly ugly without smoothing. Is there a way to change the IDE menu font via the preferences.txt ? If not - I can do font substitution in the registry, but I need to know which font the IDE uses for menus.

Asking because I normally disable OS font smoothing on large, medium DPI monitors and the menu font looks particularly ugly without smoothing. Is there a way to change the IDE menu font via the preferences.txt ? If not - I can do font substitution in the registry, but I need to know which font the IDE uses for menus.

This might help: 

Changing the IDE Editor Font?

Ok, I think it's working. Setting editor.antialias=true makes a perceivable difference though the font still doesn't look as good as it does in my other IDEs for some reason.

As I understand it, the Energia IDE is based on the Arduino IDE, which in turn is based on the Processing IDE (aka PDE). I think the PDE is written in Java using Swing/GTK. It might be that someone has had the same issue with one of the other IDEs and has a fix that will work for Energia too.

Ok, I took a look at the preferences.txt file for my Processing PDE install, and noticed the line "editor.laf.linux=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel".

I'm running Windows, and normally my menus look like this:

post-30355-0-86884400-1439413720_thumb.png

I shut down PDE, and changed that preferences line to "editor.laf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel", which gave this result:

post-30355-0-30048000-1439413798_thumb.png

What's annoying is that the default windows look and feel class isn't specified, so I don't know what it is. Anyway, I think it will be possible to change menu fonts by finding an appropriate look and feel or editing the current one.

EDIT: Looks like it's com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel. See https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/lookandfeel/plaf.html for more info on Swing Look & Feel.

• 2 weeks later...

(BTW how to upload an image to this board ?)

You have to use the full editor (click the "More Reply Options" button). Below the edit textbox is an "Attach Files" area. After choosing an image file to attach it will be listed in the attachments area with an "Add to Post" link, which pastes some markup that inlines the image in your post. You can preview the post to check that the image upload/insert worked correctly.