Sign in to follow this  
FredrikNyman

What's going on with Tiva?

Way back when, TI effectively rebranded Stellaris as Tiva as part of the transition from Luminary Micro to TI and from Cortex-M3 to Cortex-M4.  Now they seem to be abandoning Tiva as well; if you search for Tiva on ti.com, it takes you to "TivaWare for TM4C12x MCUs (Formerly Tiva MCUs)".  Products->Microcontrollers no longer has a Tiva section either; instead, the Cortex-M4 are hidden under "Control + Automation" -> "TM4C12x".

Any idea what's going on here?

Way back when, TI effectively rebranded Stellaris as Tiva as part of the transition from Luminary Micro to TI and from Cortex-M3 to Cortex-M4.  Now they seem to be abandoning Tiva as well; if you search for Tiva on ti.com, it takes you to "TivaWare for TM4C12x MCUs (Formerly Tiva MCUs)".  Products->Microcontrollers no longer has a Tiva section either; instead, the Cortex-M4 are hidden under "Control + Automation" -> "TM4C12x".

Any idea what's going on here?

I suspect, but do not really know 100% this may have to do with the new MSP432 launchpads ? I was kind of curious what the real difference were between the new launchpads ( MSP432's ), and the older LM4F120 boards. I have not really had the time to go looking in earnest yet myself. One thing that maybe I misunderstood while listening to a youtube video was that the newer MSP432 has an on die DSP ?!

Anyway, the MCU I believe is an M4F part I believe but . . .again haven't had much time to check it out really.

EDIT:

One thing that maybe I misunderstood while listening to a youtube video was that the newer MSP432 has an on die DSP ?!

Seems this is FUD. Checked out the webpage quick and nothing there mentions a DSP.

...One thing that maybe I misunderstood while listening to a youtube video was that the newer MSP432 has an on die DSP ?!

EDIT:

Seems this is FUD. Checked out the webpage quick and nothing there mentions a DSP.

MSP432 uses a Cortex-M4F core, which includes an instruction set extension designed for signal processing tasks. It has faster MAC and SIMD instructions with support for saturation arithmetic. I think there might be some marketing at work (from ARM) in calling it DSP, but it's nice to have nonetheless.

The DSP instruction set reference is here: http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.100166_0001_00_en/ric1417449098079.html

I suspect, but do not really know 100% this may have to do with the new MSP432 launchpads ? I was kind of curious what the real difference were between the new launchpads ( MSP432's ), and the older LM4F120 boards.

I don't think the MSP432 is in the same niche as Tiva. MSP432 is lower power and has peripherals derived from MSP430 family. The peripherals are low-power, but less full-featured than those on the tiva. CPU clock speed is lower and peripherals clock speeds are even lower than that.

I don't think the MSP432 is in the same niche as Tiva. MSP432 is lower power and has peripherals derived from MSP430 family. The peripherals are low-power, but less full-featured than those on the tiva. CPU clock speed is lower and peripherals clock speeds are even lower than that.

Well I suppose that answers my own question - Wondering what the differences are between LM4F120 / Tiva, and this board. :)