Lgbeno

New MSP430 Wireless Sensor Node

Depends on the TSSOP @@yyrkoon, remember there is a TSSOP-20 version (same pinout as DIP) and TSSOP-28 which has Port 3 pins available. QFN-32 should be comparable to TSSOP-28 but I don't recall what's extra.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

I just remember the package Disney was using in their MIcky hats light show thingie - Someone pasted a link to here a couple years back.

I thought about bit banging more, at best I think that I can get a write down to 4 instructions which would limit the clock freq to 4MHz:

Write miso&clock bit

Read mosi bit

Write clock

Shift

This is a pretty ideal case and still violates timing.

Best to just use USCI B0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can go slower than 8MHz of course... but I agree it's silly not using the built in peripheral if it's there :D. The one thing I did find is that it's pointless to go into LPM after initiating an SPI transfer, because the interrupt latency in handling the wakeup exceeds the time spent transferring the data. I just busy-wait waiting for UCBUSY to clear.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

Well boards have arrived and I started building them up. So far I have 2 of them built up and tested.

Now the real work begins in writing Energia libraries!

95310e8e5e89502ae09df2c30505dd31.jpg

ce2c03e260938217ef188b677f85221f.jpg

8ca217821d17f12f2326f3062de27c32.jpg

b71d8cb929eba9f728262810bac96322.jpg

1555e6ea3bbb7ebed792ab682015af42.jpg

One change that I'm pondering is changing the connector pinout slightly to support this configuration and take power from the launchpad:

4f78f2111c88f04e55c22a3110552ad7.jpg

Status update: I now have 6 units built and tested. The enrf24 library has also now been updated to support RF75 and I've tested over the air compatibility with nRF24 based nodes :)

post-3-0-35412900-1439502974_thumb.jpg

I made the connector pin out compatible with plugging direct into the launchpad and getting power from J6.

Power consumption tests show that I can get it down to 350uA sleep current from a single AA battery. That translates to about 1 year of battery life. I think that this can be improved but need to dig into the culprit.

Finally, I just ordered 50 PCBs and a stencil from Elecrow so I'm ready to make some beta units! I'd love to take pre-orders.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vote for my project in the Hackaday Prize! https://hackaday.io/project/4648-analogio

One more thing... These units will also be able to support transmitting up to 14 bytes of Bluetooth Low Energy Beacon data. I'm also working on receiving BLE Beacons!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vote for my project in the Hackaday Prize! https://hackaday.io/project/4648-analogio

So I did some math last night.  

For the first build of 50, I'll need to ask for $14.99 for each unit.  Unfortunately when I amortize the shipping costs for the parts, I just can't get to that $9.99 price point quite yet.  It is theoretically possible but I'll need to do bigger builds to get there.

Also the Si7020 part (Temp and Humidity Sensor) is way expensive so If you would like to add that to your unit(s), the cost would need to be $19.99.  I'm happy to solder it on for you.

Regardless of how many units you buy or what country I'm shipping to, the cost will be $5.  Units will not come with a AA Battery but will have the holder.

If you are ok with that price and interested in supporting the project, just reply to this thread with how many units that you would like to purchase.  If you feel generous, you're welcome to pre-pay or place a deposit on your order but it is not a requirement.  My paypal address is Lgbeno@gmail.com.

Units will be ready to ship Mid September.

Does that sound ok?

@@Lgbeno I'll take one. 

I can also sponsor one 43oh member if you have >100 reputation( if they can pay their $5 shipping ).

If it makes organizing it a bit better, you can start a group buy thread. That will help you point people to one thread with price information. Up to you. 

@@Lgbeno I'll take one.

I can also sponsor one 43oh member if you have >100 reputation( if they can pay their $5 shipping ).

If it makes organizing it a bit better, you can start a group buy thread. That will help you point people to one thread with price information. Up to you.

Awesome! I'll match your sponsorship with one member as well, I just don't want to be the one to choose who gets it :)

A group by thread is a good idea, I'll get that started.