43oh

LightServer - RGB Intelligent Lighting Project - App Control - Works with WS8212B LEDs

Hi Everyone,

I have made available binaries and source code for an RGB lighting project called LightServer that I thought some of you would be interested in.

The best way to see what you can do with LightServer is to view the videos on Vimeo here - https://vimeo.com/album/3015956

No coding experience required to set this up and use. 

Technical Details

LightServer uses the Tiva C LaunchPad and the CC3100 Wi-Fi BoosterPack and a custom BoosterPack (Eagle files included

post-33861-0-57998400-1437270251_thumb.png

Imagine that, Australian ;) The "Country of light shows", as I've come to know it - heh.

Overall - I'd have to say you've done a great job. Probably the most polished ( hobbyist ?) project I've seen to date. Worthy of HaD IMHO. I do have some niggles though, but will keep my mouth shut unless you really want to hear them. Except,  you being Australian, I figured you'd demo more syncing lights to music ( light show style ).  Or is that "tired" for you ?

Great job :)

EDIT:

By the by. People here in the US would definitely pay for something like this. There are many people who do light shows synced to music for Holidays. Such as Christmas. Just how many, and how much . ..couldn't say.

I figured you'd demo more syncing lights to music ( light show style ).  Or is that "tired" for you ?

Great job :)

There is a video that focuses on the music syncing in more detail - https://vimeo.com/81621493

Note: This is an early video, so the apps are beta and the LightBus one has not been released yet. I am also using different lights (and controller in a few shots), but it works very much the same but with lots more effects. I decided the WS8212B LEDs would be a lot better as they are more affordable and many people have them. Also the Texas Instruments CC3100 provides a lot easier way to connect a device to a Wi-Fi Network, as Smart Config is integrated into the LightKit App. 

Thanks for your kind words, and always happy to hear niggles, but perhaps send me private so we can discuss in detail. There was a big effort put into this, so hoping to get some positive feedback on this thread  :D

There is a video that focuses on the music syncing in more detail - https://vimeo.com/81621493

Note: This is an early video, so the apps are beta and the LightBus one has not been released yet. I am also using different lights (and controller in a few shots), but it works very much the same but with lots more effects. I decided the WS8212B LEDs would be a lot better as they are more affordable and many people have them. Also the Texas Instruments CC3100 provides a lot easier way to connect a device to a Wi-Fi Network, as Smart Config is integrated into the LightKit App. 

Thanks for your kind words, and always happy to hear niggles, but perhaps send me private so we can discuss in detail. There was a big effort put into this, so hoping to get some positive feedback on this thread  :D

Nothing earth shattering or harsh. Perhaps you've even given it some thought.

I just think that a good web app would go a very long way to make your idea reachable to a larger audience. Or perhaps if you have a good amount of experience writing android apps. That could work too. I can understand wanting to keep the software( to the general public ) in an app store type platform though. With a web app though, you can pretty much reach everyone, even MS who controls a whopping 3-4% of the smartphone / tablet market ;)

The other niggles I had were related to "home light shows", but from the looks of things you're probably already heading in that direction.

Keep in mind, the niggles I mention are in relation to you potentially wanting to market your kit. If this is not a concern for you, then my niggle are essentially moot.

But....It does have a web app, which enables you to control from any device or computer with a browser. I even demonstrate it being used on a Kindle B) - https://vimeo.com/album/3015956/video/104788325

However features are limited, as there is only so much you can do with a web app, it is not possible to do music syncing, or control multiple lights or many other cool things. Also, only half the effects are available (lots of new mood lighting ones are only available in the app), it is not so easy to use, as you need to type in an IP address, which you need to find. The app makes it simple for anyone to use, just start the app and you can control the lights how ever you want.

I am working on an Android native app, but it will take a long time to get to the same quality and number of features you see in the iOS apps, as anyone who is an app developer knows, they take a big effort to get right.

And you are right regarding home light shows, I have a LightKit update on the way that will allow automation, random, etc options with the effects.

You can already do this with music sync part of LightKit app or with the LightTunes app, so just add what ever music you want from your music library, select the time interval between changing effects, sit back or dance while watching lights synced to music, with different types of lighting effects. 

Something perhaps to look into is libmongoose or otherwise known as the mongoose embedded web server. Right now, I'm trying to think really hard how one could make this work( music syncing etc ), but I'm pretty sure it could / would work. Of course, this would add additional  complexity, but I'm thinking in the context of "home light shows". Where the web server would communicate with the board directly, and the smartphone / tablet would be used as a remote.

Something similar might be possible with Nodejs, but . . .maybe this is all more complex than you really want to get ? heh My friends always tell me I'm the "king" of elaborate schemes . . . now I'm starting to see their point.

haha....I love to geek out with complex architectures to solve problems, and think your idea has merit...and of course anyone in the community is welcome to develop anything that works with LightServer.

My initial concept was to develop something anyone can use, and to make the setup as simple as possible. I also wanted it to be stable and without any bits that can easily break.

Anyone can use a mobile app.

haha....I love to geek out with complex architectures to solve problems, and think your idea has merit...and of course anyone in the community is welcome to develop anything that works with LightServer.

My initial concept was to develop something anyone can use, and to make the setup as simple as possible. I also wanted it to be stable and without any bits that can easily break.

Anyone can use a mobile app.

Well, this is definitely right up my alley - As in elaborate, and interesting problem to solve. But unfortunately, I already have another elaborate, and unique project of my own. Currently though I am using libmongoose as a http + websockets server for a beaglebone black project. The really cool thing about libmongoose is that in less than 40-50 lines of code you get this functionality, Well, in the context of the code the "we" the users of libmongoose. The source is 5000 lines in the source file as I recall, and do not remember how many lines in the header.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel like I'm hijacking your thread. But I'll think about this some while I'm working on my own project and let you know what I think up. Or maybe you'll wake up one day and find a git push request ;)