43oh

Need help with MSP430 Project...

I am looking for someone who is proficient with the MSP430 to help me with a project. I am completely new to this MCU and would like help with both the hardware design and software.

The project is to read telemetry data coming off a PX4 autopilot and send it to a MySql server.

By default, the PX4 auto pilot is streaming messages on a serial port here: https://pixhawk.org/dev/companion_link?s[]=telem2#streaming_messages.Most people use this to connect a companion computer (Raspberry Pi, etc.). But I want to read the serial stream into a MSP430 instead which will then forward it to my internet database server if the server is accessible, otherwise it will write it to flash until the server is available.

So communication would look like this: AUTOPILOT -> MSP430 -> FLASH -> MySQL Server.

No parsing of the data is required just a simple relay (that is why I do not want to do this with a SBC which is overkill)

To access the internet server the MSP340 would need to interface to a cellular modem.

I want the whole thing to be fabricated on a small board, no USB dongles or any of that.

The project would basically do the same thing as this: http://www.4gmetry.com/but be much more lightweight and unlike that solution that connects to a ground station, it would store the data stream to a MySQL server.

Anyone interested in this? If you are or know someone who is then let me know. Thanks.

Matt Johnson

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another thought is you might consider a FRAM based MSP430 so you're not wearing out FLASH.

Some GSM projects that may help, in this forum. They use the MSP430. http://forum.43oh.com/topic/4713-gsm-remote-controlled-car-heater/ http://forum.43oh.com/topic/2310-ws6318-gsm-booster-pack/ htt

Considering you're talking about logging data to onboard memory, and are dedicating a serial port for the data retrieval, I think the MSP430FR5969 or other MSP430FR[56]xx9 series chips would serve you

Are you looking to learn how to build this yourself, or are you looking for someone to build it for you?

I am interested in learning to build it myself but unfortuneatly I do not have the time to learn all of this from scratch, I would be interested in helping where I could but it would most likely be someone building it for me.

- Matt

Well, I never got a response on this request for help. What other resources are there out there to find someone to help me design and build this circuit? There are plenty of independent contracting sites for software developers but where do you guys go for embedded system designers?

Thanks for any guidance you can give me...

Matt

What you are requesting will take a little time to implement. There are a few technologies crossing over and may take some learning. I can suggest breaking up your project into smaller pieces and then bridging them together. 

Unfortunately 43oh is not a contract site. We can best help you with suggestions or maybe a member might PM you after seeing this. If you are really looking... there are sites like rent a coder etc.

Good luck with your project :)

Okay thanks.

What you are requesting will take a little time to implement. There are a few technologies crossing over and may take some learning. I can suggest breaking up your project into smaller pieces and then bridging them together. 

Unfortunately 43oh is not a contract site. We can best help you with suggestions or maybe a member might PM you after seeing this. If you are really looking... there are sites like rent a coder etc.

Good luck with your project :)

I you want someone to build a project for you, then you should start by stating that clearly in the title.  However, I highly doubt that unless you have a fair bit of money to offer you are not likely to find anyone interested.

If you want to start learning on your own, I suggest you start by learning how to blink an LED.

I would be interested in helping to build it, I just need guidance so I would not say I just want to have someone do it for me. You mention needing a fair bit of money, is this a complicated project to read a serial stream and relay it to a web server? What do you think it would cost?

As for blinking an LED, I have that done already, I have the Launchpad. However, it is a big leap from that to reading serial stream and interfacing to a GSM circuit would you agree? Where do you recommend finding someone if not on these forums?

- Matt

I you want someone to build a project for you, then you should start by stating that clearly in the title.  However, I highly doubt that unless you have a fair bit of money to offer you are not likely to find anyone interested.

If you want to start learning on your own, I suggest you start by learning how to blink an LED.

This sounds like an interesting project, so in the interest of fostering conversion... which MSP430 are you looking at using, and have you chosen a GSM module?

Knowing what you're contemplating might help someone figure out signaling between the MSP430 and GSM module, if level conversion is necessary, power considerations and so on.

I have not selected an MCU or a GSM module, that is part of the guidance I am looking for. I am not sure what GSM modules work nicely with the MSP430, and there is a real lack of sample code or projects that I can find through Google to provide me any clear direction on component selection. My blinking LED and other starter projects are all on the MSP430G2553IN20. The only reason I have been buying those is because they are what is used on my Launchpad.

Thanks for the response.

Matt Johnson

This sounds like an interesting project, so in the interest of fostering conversion... which MSP430 are you looking at using, and have you chosen a GSM module?

Knowing what you're contemplating might help someone figure out signaling between the MSP430 and GSM module, if level conversion is necessary, power considerations and so on.

What @spirillis said or you can use an external EEPROM.

Again divide and conquer - To write a serial stream to flash/ram, you need to divide it into two parts: