Adnan

Implementing WSN

I want to implement wireless sensor network programmed with my own protocol suite. The memory size of Launchpad should be:

RAM size 4 KB 

FLASH or FRAM 64 KB

I plan to use MSP-EXP430FR5969 with CC1120. The resulted hardware is operated as standalone so it powered by energy harvesting circuit or battery. I'm not sure that I chose the right product for my project. 

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion.

Good project, I believe that the best way to test is to start building! I'm building some WSN's with lesser hardware so you can for sure do it with this.

The biggest thing for me is to be sure that the hardware that you select has a good software library so that you don't need to write one yourself which is a big time sink.

The other major item for me is cost. The cheaper the node, the more that you can deploy! All things considered, these parts are inexpensive but there are cheaper with adequate trade offs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for your reply,

I compelled to write new software because I want to test my protocol suite. So, can you tell me if I can use Energia with this hardware.

I plan to use 10 nodes 

1 sink

3 cluster head

6 node 

The nodes are optimized for battery operated, while the cluster head is supported by energy harvesting source.

I want to test the performance of the network with different parameters, like data rate and operating frequency (433 and 868 MHz).

Can I use one CC1120 and modify the comonents on the board to change frequency or just buy two boards?  

Also I want to compare the performance of narrowband RF from TI and LoRa based transceivers in terms of energy consumption and communication range. Is there a possibility to use LoRa with this launchpad and waht about driving software?

Sounds ambitious...

First, changing frequency isn't trivial, you would need to change out antennas and matching components for each node. If Money is not an issue, separate hardware is better.

Between narrowband and LoRa, I think that either can yield very high performance and you are best off making a choice and sticking with it. Coding up two separate libraries and testing is a full time job for 6 months (or more).

As far as I know, a Energia abstraction for CC1120 does not exist nor does a lib exist for LoRa. It would be great for the community if you were to write one. At least you will have the SPI abstraction to make it portable between launchpads.

CC1101 does have a library as does nRF24. I've used both and they are both easy to use. Much of what I understand on your protocol testing seems to be above the RF layer anyway.

My advice would be to build your WSN first with CC1101 or nRF24 then when you feel like you've exhausted the capabilities of these radios, then upgrade to cc1120 or LoRa.

Just my 2 cents as I would like to see you get some quick success without needing to create everything from scratch. From scratch may be a non-starter.

Thank you,

I need to use CC1120 over CC1101 because it provides longer range and this feature will guarantee the connectivity between nodes when deployed in large area.

I think CC1101 lacks many new features added to the recent TI transceivers like sniff mode,  has less link budget and longer preamble required.

Instead of using CC1101 with launchpad, there is a ready to use platform based on CC430 called WizziMote but operate only on 433 Mhz.

Is there any difference in programming between CC1120 and CC1101?

I'm pretty sure that there is little to no overlap between CC1120 and CC1101.

CC430 has the same radio core as CC1101 afaik

Go with the CC1200.  It is PHY compatible with CC13xx, which is TI's next 5 year roadmap for sub 1GHz RF SoC.  Or just go with CC1310.

CC430 is a dead end.  I spent years of my life working on it, so I'm not just saying this.

As far as I know, a Energia abstraction for CC1120 does not exist nor does a lib exist for LoRa. It would be great for the community if you were to write one. At least you will have the SPI abstraction to make it portable between launchpads.

Energia is a terrible framework if you want to do serious low power work, just use CCS and plain C code instead of the Sketch framework.

I really want to use CC1310 but I think  it's not available in the market yet. is there a development kit available now?

From datasheet, there is no dfference between CC1120 and CC1200. Can you tell me the difference?

My protocol suite is complex. And free version of CCS and IAR only support limited size code.

From datasheet, there is no dfference between CC1120 and CC1200. Can you tell me the difference?

There is a pretty big difference.  Read the datasheets more thoroughly.

The biggest areas of importance:

- CC1200 is good for narrowband, wideband, and spread spectrum.  CC1120 only narrowband.

- CC1200 has FEC features.

- CC1200 has lower power "sniff" feature.

- CC1310 is designed to be easy to migrate-to from CC1200.

Thanks all,

Now, the launchpad to be used should has the following  characteristics:

1. lowest power consumption because many of  them will be programmed for standalone operation and battery powered.  

2. RAM size 4 KB 

3. Flash memory size ~ 64 KB

I chose MSP-EXP430FR5969 but I'm not sure if select the right option.

I chose MSP-EXP430FR5969 but I'm not sure if select the right option.

The power usage of a WSN system will be dominated by the radio RX and TX, not so much the sleep current.  So it doesn't really matter.  I would use the 5529 instead of the FR5969, if only because it is more capable.  It runs faster, too, which can be important if you have a protocol with even the slightest degree of sophistication.  That said, the MSP432 launchpad is the best choice IMO.