Sign in to follow this  
asgard20032

Where would be a C2000 useful?

Considering that there is plenty of ARM cortex M4 with low of raw power and cheapo dspic & pic32, where would a C2000 be useful?

I got a C2k launchpad, but i am trying to find it a use.

Or put in general, how does low end C2k compare to other similar mcu, and where it would fit.

C2000 Piccolo F28027 is basically defined by 2 features: High speed ADC and HRPWM. The CPU is reasonably fast but it needs to be in order to keep up with the control loop math typically employed. It's a niche MCU to be sure. I haven't used mine much either.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

Some of the higher end C2000's have fancier features such as the CLA coprocessor and the hardware trigonometry unit (Viturbi math unit I think it's called?)

They are perfect for applications such as inverters, motor control etc. Entire FOC( field oriented control) calculations in one PWM cycle, pushing 20Khz.. if I recollect correctly. That and hardware floating point.

TI also has a very good range of motor control functions and applications to get started in. That in itself pays alot of development time that would be spent in setting up a chip from another vendor. Although competition is heating up, which is great!

Some of the higher end C2000's have fancier features such as the CLA coprocessor and the hardware trigonometry unit (Viturbi math unit I think it's called?)

Hi Spirillis, Viterbi accelerator is used on communication to recover transmission error, it is not related to motor control nor inverter. Some part of this family are dedicated to Line and communication too.

Family include both integer and floating point series with many different feature typical of DSP arena.

CLA Control Law Accelerator is used on motion control and inverter, it is capable of offload cpu from task of modulating PWM leaving cpu free.

These processor are not comparable to ARM nor to poor DSPIC, they are a strange sort of DSP coupled with a processor, new DSP too are similar sort of inverted coupling.

Other feature are faster ADC in few MSPS reange, fast comparator and HRPWM with resolution down to range of few hundred of pS (yes Pico Seconds!)

IMHO this processor has no or limited sense on Energia but someone more expert than me can help all us understand the caveats of this choice.

They are perfect for applications such as inverters, motor control etc. Entire FOC( field oriented control) calculations in one PWM cycle, pushing 20Khz.. if I recollect correctly. That and hardware floating point.

TI also has a very good range of motor control functions and applications to get started in. That in itself pays alot of development time that would be spent in setting up a chip from another vendor. Although competition is heating up, which is great!

I did a lot of reading on these processors 2-3 years ago, and I have to agree with bluehash. But in the context to power applications, these processors would not be limited to just inverters. They can pretty much handle any real time power application. As in the case of real time power monitoring - This could come in very handy for Wind turbines, loading the turbine properly for achieving the maximum power point, or even MPPT solar applications - And a lot more. The TI-RTOS should also work on these.

So for those who are familiar with the beaglebone black, and the AM335x processors with on die PRU's. I would personally liken this to something similar to a lower powered( and cost ) A8 with a single PRU. But less general purpose, and more specific purpose.

EDIT:

Oh and right, I forget what they call it, but there is a power related set of libraries meant for these as well. Provided by TI. Seemed quite extensive last I looked.

Considering that there is plenty of ARM cortex M4 with low of raw power and cheapo dspic & pic32, where would a C2000 be useful?

I got a C2k launchpad, but i am trying to find it a use.

Or put in general, how does low end C2k compare to other similar mcu, and where it would fit.

Like others have said the peripherals is what makes the C28x series a beast. If you have spent any time designing digital power supplies the peripherals make all the difference in the world. 

The newer dsPICE series are getting better (70MIPS and 12bit DAC, improved ADC, ect) but you cant beat performing the control calculation in ~10 instructions. Not to mention the floating point makes implementation 1000x easier.

Its niche is in high performance digital control, something that hobbiest or consumer applications don't really get into all that much.   

Apart from motor drives, digital power supply control is a big use case. Also useful to drive haptic feedback devices ("vibrators") for gaming purposes. I'm actually working one one of those, albeit with a dsPIC processor.

BTW, if you own a high performance PC, there's a decent chance there's at least one C2000 in it for the cooling fan drive. More on DIY hobby electronics, a closely related application would be drones and other hobby aircraft.