43oh

What to use?? power operated gate control interface

I am about to start on some additional controls for my powered gate opener. 

Problem #1 I have is the optical obstruction sensor gets wet from rain and mist thinking there is an obstruction

Problem#2 is the inductive driveway sensor is triggered by close proximity lightning, then gate wont reclose due to problem #1

I have an additional remote channel open, so my thought is an input to the controller could disable the optical sensor

Another input could disable the inductive sensor whether long input, short, series of inputs....

One of the challenges I have is I did not run a LAN cable to the gate.  I should be within wifi range, and have thought about that.  I want to be able to come back to the computer or another MSP for indication in the house so I know if the gate was left open.  Possibly interfacing with the security system.

Would a regular MSP430,432 with a wifi card be the way to go or would another device be a more suitable home for this?

Additional projects keep popping up keeping me from the trailer thermostat and my cutting flag!

Thanks everyone!

How about a physical spring-switch like the ones used on fridges doors? If the switch is closed, gate is closed. For the occasional meddling neighbour kids, maybe have 2 switches just to be sure. These would solve both problems.

I'm thinking of 'gates' along the line of garage doors and alike. I'm not sure what's meant by gate opener so this may not be the answer you're looking for.

I had thought about a few flip flop relays that you could cycle through from the second remote

The optical sensors are shrouded and heated but mist/fog/rain is enough that they think there is an obstruction and you can not adjust the sensitivity and power on them. 

This is one of the reasons I thought about a MSP430G2553 is I could have a time delay triggered by the second channel to disable the optical sensor long enough to get the gate shut.  I could also disable the driveway inductive sensor when there is a storm in the area as close proximity lightning triggers the driveway exit loop. 

This is a 14' swing gate on my road.  The gate has to be reliable as there are dogs, horses,cattle being kept in by the gate not to mention it makes people slow down coming up my road as they have to wait for the gate. 

I looked into ultrasonic for the obstruction sensors and there about $1000 I about choked when they told me that. 

The current exit loop is a hall effect. I just need to disable it remotely in the storms. I'm going to start on the code with the msp430. I'll look into that Wi-Fi card.

About your writing I fear you have no ESD and EMF prevention nor shielding and filtering on lines to controller, I am right? If so add isolation to all signal from, level and debouncing, decoupling ferrities and all is to be on secure communication, when all is ok no storm nor fog nor wet get your system unreliable.

About ultrasound sensing barrier IMHO it is a bad idea, dust fog and ice too many times are enemy of transducers till you use professional barrier cost a fortune. IR barrier are better and cheap,  are your barrier specific to Gate control with external grade ruggedness? Also add some contact sensing on edges to prevent have someone harmed by.

Best regards

Roberto

Made it to the computer to post, much better than the phone....

This is my gate operator

http://www.niceforyou.us/our-products/1550etl-1k

But I still have the old version control board

http://www.niceforyou.us/our-products/835-control-board

I want to keep my obstruction sensor and exit sensor the way they are. 

Biggest thing is a momentary interruption on the obstruction to get the gate closed while human supervised.  As I want the IR sensor in service the rest of the time.  The gate weighs 500+ lbs and 14' so if it hits something its going to tear it up.

And to remotely disable the gate exit loop for when the gate needs to be "locked" and take away the random trigger from lightning.  

Your point about the isolation and reliability is the largest reason I was asking here. 

I know I will need to isolate all these signals gathering a plan to do this is the challenge. 

I want the WIFI capability to be supervisory only. Tell me if the gate is open for longer than desired time or in trouble, my desired end result is for the wifi link back to the PC to be able to send an email/sms...that if the gate is open for longer than the desired time I get a notification that it is open.  Or if it is off the closed limit switch when the gate is in lock mode.  We are often gone for a weekend at a time with nobody coming by, so this can be part of the security features.  Right now when I leave I manually lock the gate and pull the fuse on the opener. ( last time we came home in a 1-2 in/hr rain storm and was soaked to the bone getting the gate opened, whole reason I am lazy and have a powered gate.)  The only way it can be controlled is locally (which cabinet is normally locked) or by the remote. 

I had looked into the CC3100 wifi card, I need about 100' range. 

I thought about using optical isolation between the gate operator control board and the MSP, and setup so a MSP failure would place the opener configuration in the condition it is in now without the MSP in place. 

Made it to the computer to post, much better than the phone....

This is my gate operator

http://www.niceforyou.us/our-products/1550etl-1k

But I still have the old version control board

http://www.niceforyou.us/our-products/835-control-board

The second link about controller show me as a solar powered device so you have some solar panel, battery and controller box, are these device all correctly wired and earthed? Are surge and storm protection installed?

Refer this or equivalent for protection device:

https://www.dehn-international.com/en/protecting-photovoltaic-systems-0

refer to stand alone devices are they in place?

The second link about controller show me as a solar powered device so you have some solar panel, battery and controller box, are these device all correctly wired and earthed? Are surge and storm protection installed?

Refer this or equivalent for protection device:

https://www.dehn-international.com/en/protecting-photovoltaic-systems-0

refer to stand alone devices are they in place?

I have the 120 volt charger and not the solar, I wanted the reliability.

Yes everything is wired and grounded correctly. There are mov arresters at the plug where the charger is plugged in. The system is a 12 volt system, with the battery charger, keeping the battery topped off. The gate post is 6' in the ground so it makes a good ground rod also. The mov works as a section of my fence took a direct hit of lightning last night as there is about 5' of paint burned off the top rail of the fence.

I have the 120 volt charger and not the solar, I wanted the reliability.

Yes everything is wired and grounded correctly. There are mov arresters at the plug where the charger is plugged in. The system is a 12 volt system, with the battery charger, keeping the battery topped off. The gate post is 6' in the ground so it makes a good ground rod also. The mov works as a section of my fence took a direct hit of lightning last night as there is about 5' of paint burned off the top rail of the fence.

Mov arrester are not enough, this way you have a cable running from house to fence, this is not reliable also if 12V charger is in place, additional protective measure on both sides of cables need to be used. If you find paint burned it is a sign of improper grounding of fences and gate, I think about an indirect hit otherwise metal got live and many time bent or melt, I suggest you try understand the suggested site about protection to raise complete reliability and ruggedness on lightning.

Mov arrester are not enough, this way you have a cable running from house to fence, this is not reliable also if 12V charger is in place, additional protective measure on both sides of cables need to be used. If you find paint burned it is a sign of improper grounding of fences and gate, I think about an indirect hit otherwise metal got live and many time bent or melt, I suggest you try understand the suggested site about protection to raise complete reliability and ruggedness on lightning.

I'm a power plant electrician, it's installed and grounded correctly.

Were in Texas where we get significant lightning storms. The fence was hit about 100' away from the gate. This fence is 2600 ft of pipe top rail fence with a post every 8 ft.

I'm a power plant electrician, it's installed and grounded correctly.

Were in Texas where we get significant lightning storms. The fence was hit about 100' away from the gate. This fence is 2600 ft of pipe top rail fence with a post every 8 ft.

It's adding the additional controls with the WiFi that I'm having the challenge with

• 1 month later...

I am finally getting some time to work on this.

One part I am hung up on is I have an If statement,

If the P2.0 pin is high for more than 1/2 second make P2.2 high.  Is this as simple as this?   

if ((P2IN & REMOTE) ==0)  // REMOTE is the P2.0 pin 
     P2OUT |= BYPASS;
     _delay_cycles(500000)  

I was going  to set the clocks at 1mHz, they dont even need to be that fast. 

The control scheme is

If P2.0 is high for 0.5 second, make P2.2 high for 120 seconds, bypassing the obstruction sensor and illuminate bypass mode LED

If P2.0 is high for 2 seconds make P2.3 high until P2.0 is high again for 2 seconds disabling all gate functions and illuminate disable LED

If P2.1 is high (meaning the gate is open) more than 240 seconds send data to PC which I want to setup to send an email if gate is open above the time

Setup LED that will illuminate when gate is in bypass and disable mode. 

PC connection via wifi to handle messaging based on gate position

I want to setup the PC end of it where the PC program can make an alert noise on the PC and send email/sms

Thanks again for the help!

Jake