rampadc

GestIC - 3D gesture controller

Microchip rolled out a 3D gesture controller IC MGC3030 in their GestIC family around January with code, free GUI and video tutorials. It looks interesting though the only application I could think of for this is a 3D mouse, sign language recognition and maybe a navigation mechanism of sort when holograms become mainstream. What other applications/scenarios can they use this for?

Microchip rolled out a 3D gesture controller IC MGC3030 in their GestIC family around January with code, free GUI and video tutorials. It looks interesting though the only application I could think of for this is a 3D mouse, sign language recognition and maybe a navigation mechanism of sort when holograms become mainstream. What other applications/scenarios can they use this for?

Another application is mousepads.

This page has more information. Scroll down for videos. The third video has a demo.

I saw a kickstarter or indiegogo campaign with some sort of hardware that used a gesture controller and an LED matrix for feedback.  Not sure how complex the implementation would be - but it could be an interesting interface method to hardware without an LCD.  Gesture-based passwords for a security system, gesture control of a media system (next track, previous track, increase volume), etc.

The gesture based password system sounds interesting though if you start waving your hands around, people would known what your password is.

I wonder what's the maximum size possible for the sensor board. Having 1 mounted behind a LCD screen to make it interactive would be useful.

It will be interesting to see if this "takes off" after the Kickstarter. Or if the project product just gets thrown into a drawer with all those other things that sounded like a good idea at the time. :-)