Sign in to follow this  
Rei Vilo

Embedded Systems: Shape The World

Learning by doing doesn't provide the basics in a structured way and doesn't teach how to deal with a project and model it. More important, I don't even know what I don't know and what I know. 

So I've enrolled for the UT.6.02x Embedded Systems - Shape the World.

Even if it is based on C and uses Keil

Learning by doing doesn't provide the basics in a structured way and doesn't teach how to deal with a project and model it. More important, I don't even know what I don't know and what I know. 

So I've enrolled for the UT.6.02x Embedded Systems - Shape the World.

Even if it is based on C and uses Keil

I'd also like to personally vouch for this class, though without having taken it in the format you're used to.

In other words, I took this class as the actual in-lecture version as an Electrical Engineering student at UTAustin. Where it was called EE319k, Intro to Embedded Systems. In the Fall of 2012.

A few minor details were different: I took it during the very last semester before transitioning to ARM Cortex-M. We used the 9S12 architecture (coding using Freescale's Codewarrior), and there's a bit more of a focus on learning Assembly early on, instead of going straight to compiling C.

It was EE319k that got me super interested in embedded systems, and I shill that edX class HARD any time people ask me about Arduino or electronics design.

I've considered going to Dr. Valvano and trying to convince him to offer Linux-based toolkits for his TeXAS-grader bits, or even offering to write them myself, since let's face it, he likes to talk about free, but neither Keil nor CCS are as free as good old arm-none-eabi, and my favorite answer to "What's your IDE?" is "tmux+vim+gdb"

I haven't been able to find the time to do the labs this time around, though the IoT one with the cc3100 is something I defeinitely feel like I should get into, since that wasn't offered before. But I can still vouch for Valvano being an excellent lecturer.

And no, I have no professional connection to him or other incentives to write this....though he did hit me up on LinkedIn a couple months back...