43oh

Remote volume control

vcontrol-thumb.jpg

Click for larger photo

The two voltage regulators at the front provide 3.3v and 5v from a 12v wall wart I had lying around. A gearmotor is driven by a TB6612FNG (the red breakout board in the photo; PWMA is tied high, A0IN/A1IN are tied to P1.6/P1.7 on the msp430, vcc/vmotor/gnd/reset are connected as appropriate). The IR receiver demodulates at 38khz (it was surprisingly difficult to find one that operates at 3.3v, 5v seems to be standard); it is connected to P1.5 on the MSP430. The circuit was built on a breadboard initially, with the launchpad attached and reporting infrared samples to the PC via the USB serial port emulation; this enabled me to reverse engineer the protocol of a spare remote control I had lying around, and cause appropriate buttons to rotate the motor one way or the other.

The final source code (for mspgcc) contains separate modules for decoding the infrared signal and sending debug data over USB; the latter might be of use to someone perhaps I guess. Either of the processors supplied with the Launchpad will work.

A very simple result for all of you I'm sure, but I'm a software guy - this is the first bit of serious electronics I've done in my life! So quite exciting for me :)

That is sweet! Thanks for posting and sharing your code.. I'll update the main blog with this.

Its backlogged by a few days.

Submit to hackaday too. Its bound to get featured!

Any pictures of your setup? Visitors love pictures.

Ah! crap.. link for the pic is right on top of the post. :)

Well done!

These are the cool little tinkering projects that solve some little problem that we all like!

Heavy price for the motor controller. Could you have done it directly from the MSP430 with a transistor or two? (Okay, I'm cheap.)

Thanks for sharing the code. (BTW: I'm a software guy too. This stuff is fun!)

-Doc

@GeekDoc: thanks :)

It wasn't clear to me how to make the motor able to reverse direction, so I went for the component that solved the problem instead. However, it's not really so much of a waste - I want to have a go making a logo turtle next, so I will be reusing the controller in that (it's mounted via headers/sockets so I can unplug it); at that point being able to arbitrarily control two motors, and their speeds, easily will be very useful.