43oh

Cheap solar battery + wireless IoT node

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got a bunch of sensors in my house uploading data to my phant repository - but I decided to start looking into placing sensors outside as well.   I purchased some $2 solar sensors from Target (A

The options are 1) a complete sealed setup, using the appropriate sealed penetration connectors, capable of holding against the pressure inside and out due to temp changes, 2) run the containment at a

Due to this thread I went out and picked up a handful of these at the dollar store.  These came with a AAA ni-cad battery. @cubeberg  I took a look at the specs for the battery and it looks like they

Posted Images

@@Lgbeno - I'm in for 5 if that's cool.  

@@Lgbeno Please put me down for two units. Thanks!

Awesome! @@dubnet, I sent you a PM and cubeburg, I'll send an email.

I've been testing the supplies for about 24 hours now and still going strong.  First I tested the voltage output, then I hooked up one of my Droplet Wireless temp sensors.  It is setup to transmit every 10 seconds and keeps chugging along.  Here's the data:

Next I'll add current and voltage measurements :)

Voltage Output:

post-30430-0-04072400-1431032413_thumb.jpg

Solar Cell Current (battery voltage is 1.248V)

post-30430-0-49204600-1431032486_thumb.jpg

The final product:

post-30430-0-28556200-1431032534_thumb.jpg

The particular light that I bought from Home Depot had a nice area inside of it for Electronics.  So far this has been pretty rain proof and still breathes to keep out condensation.

Also, I kept the LED connected and that was drawing power all night as well so I'm thinking that I'm net positive on the power budget.  Time will tell...

Got my boards today!  Excited to this these out.  Wife is out of town for a week, so I should hopefully have some spare time to try it out.  I still need to put together a board - I've got some 2152's (20 and 14 pin) that I got cheap from Newark - looks like they've still got a bunch of their MSP430's on sale (example - http://www.newark.com/texas-instruments/msp430g2152in20/microcontroller-mcu-16-bit-msp430/dp/24T4648?CMP=AFC-OP?gross_price= - $0.55 each) - need to see if the NRF library will fit and whip up a board.  

Well there is always this one http://www.newark.com/texas-instruments/msp430g2302in20/microcontroller-mcu-16-bit-msp430/dp/24T4680

Those are crazy prices.  For fun I did a search on Digikey and found a SiLabs EFM8 for 35 cents, crazy...

Anyway, I digress but I was able to get the current sensing up and running in my solar light.  It looks like there is plenty of power being produced.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks nice!  Any idea if it'll hold up to sun as well?  I have some cheap dollar-store "tupperware" with a seal - but I seriously doubt it'll hold up in the sun.

BTW - got my first single-battery node up and running this weekend!  Works like a champ.  Just need to modify my code to take the battery voltage from a pin so I can monitor drain.  

Already started converting a radioshack rain sensor to a custom board - it'll be powered by one of these as well.  

Anybody have experience with inexpensive waterproofing?  I saw some suggestions of clear nailpolish and clear polyurethane spray.  Needs to be easy enough to come back and re-solder if I have to fix something or add a connection.

http://outdoorproducts.com/watertight-boxes/

Yes, i,ve had one in my mouser shopping cart for a long time at $25 then Saw these, quickly tossed 4 in the card and my wife just looked at me strangely.

Its polycarbonate as far as I know that stuff does well in the sun. Im sure it will ultimate breakdown but it will take years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks nice! Any idea if it'll hold up to sun as well? I have some cheap dollar-store "tupperware" with a seal - but I seriously doubt it'll hold up in the sun.

BTW - got my first single-battery node up and running this weekend! Works like a champ. Just need to modify my code to take the battery voltage from a pin so I can monitor drain.

Already started converting a radioshack rain sensor to a custom board - it'll be powered by one of these as well.

Anybody have experience with inexpensive waterproofing? I saw some suggestions of clear nailpolish and clear polyurethane spray. Needs to be easy enough to come back and re-solder if I have to fix something or add a connection.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?Techspray%2f2108-12S%2f&qs=sGAEpiMZZMvJqaFk9BIiv4zFCTyhAuSzRGnZB8oiqmU%3d

You might want to look at this.

I don't think it will make it water proof but will greatly reduce environmental exposure.

You can burn it off with a solder iron (dont' inhale fumes) or i saw a remover pen on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk