rampadc

Instaspin-BLDC with add-on magnetic encoder and some Q's

Hi, I have brushless motor with no hall sensors but I would like to attach a magnet to the shaft and use a magnetic encoder from AMS to control the position of the rotor shaft. Is it possible to do this using Instaspin-BLDC? Would attaching an encoder turns this into a sensored application and would using Instaspin helpful in that case? I'm aware of Instaspin-FOC and Instaspin-MOTION (I have an Instaspin-FOC Launchpad that I haven't touched yet) but the ICs are fairly expensive.

I'm fairly new to BLDC motor control in general, it would be very helpful if I can get some answers to these questions:

- Does C2000 Instaspin only work with TI's DRV-XXXX motor control ICs?

- Are there any other microcontrollers that supports BLDC driving out of the box like the Instaspin line? I've read some application notes from Microchip and Atmel regarding using their 8-bit microcontrollers to drive BLDC motors but it seems to be quite complicated, sensored and sensorless alike.

- Just for clarification, without _F, _M, the remaining C2000 MCUs such as TMS320F28027DAS supports Instaspin-BLDC right?

Thank you for your help.

Yes, it possible to incorporate position data from an encoder to your control system.  I believe this is possible with any of the InstaSPIN solutions (BLDC, FOC, and Motion), but I'm not a motor control expert.

I'm fairly new to BLDC motor control in general, it would be very helpful if I can get some answers to these questions:

- Does C2000 Instaspin only work with TI's DRV-XXXX motor control ICs?

- Are there any other microcontrollers that supports BLDC driving out of the box like the Instaspin line? I've read some application notes from Microchip and Atmel regarding using their 8-bit microcontrollers to drive BLDC motors but it seems to be quite complicated, sensored and sensorless alike.

- Just for clarification, without _F, _M, the remaining C2000 MCUs such as TMS320F28027DAS supports Instaspin-BLDC right?

InstaSPIN can work with any power electronics stage.  The core component of InstaSpin is the software encoder in ROM which accepts current and voltage feedbacks from each motor phase.

Yes, TI's other microcontroller product lines can also control BLDCs to varying degrees of performance.  You ought to be able to find some app notes for the different product lines that show how to drive BLDCs.

Yes, InstaSpin BLDC is a software only solution and will run on any C2000 microcontroller.