43oh

Vcc 3.3V or 5V?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and the Piccolo!  I'm just wondering if I can apply 5 V to Vcc?  Or really, can I apply 5 V to any of the pins??

I tried to power it with a CR2032 3V Lithium battery, but no success.

Can anyone comment about powering the Piccolo.  I plan to use it for my Sumobot!

Regards,

Sam

Sam,

There is a single pin that 5V may be applied to and that is J5.1.  Applying 5V to any other pin may potentially damage your LaunchPad.

A CR2032 may power a MSP430 for years but it would only power a Piccolo for a little while.  It should work though...  How did you have it connected?

Trey

I had the battery connected at J3.  The LEDs do turn on, but are dim.  Yet, I cannot execute programs.

Regarding the 5V.. I have a motor controller that has a 5 V output meant to power micros.  Would I be able to connect this to J5 and the gnd at J3?  And if I did, what do I do with the jumpers JP3 and JP1?

Thanks so much!

Sam

Sam,

Connecting at J3 should be ok if the jumpers JP1 and JP2 are disconnected.  I wonder if the battery is maybe a little low on charge and doesn't have enough power to supply the device.

Your motor controller's 5V output might be ok to use.  It just depends on its power output.  You ought to be able to look up in its datasheet how much current it can source out of that pin.  If that value is 200+ mA you ought to be able to use this to power the board.  You can connect 5V at J5.1 and ground wherever.  JP1 JP2 and JP3 will need to be jumpered. Try looking at the schematic of the LaunchPad an understanding why they need to be jumpered.