Sign in to follow this  
pjkim

Please add a basic tutorial for C2000 Launchpad

I received mine last week and am excited to learn more about this microcontroller. It appears to have a rather steep learning curve.

Of the two Project videos you have produced (I'm looking at you Trey), the first (Project 0) is getting the environment set up and running the pre-loaded temperature measurement program. The second (Project 1) is made for the LED booster pack. Don't get me wrong, you did a nice job with them but something is missing.

There needs to be a Project 0.5 which fits between the two-- a basic tutorial that doesn't need something else, ie LED booster pack. There is nothing worse than getting a new toy and finding out it needs something you don't have. Perhaps something as basic as blinking the onboard LEDs. But starting from scratch with an explanation of boot modes (starting from SARAM vs flash), .gel and .pjt and .cmd files, etc.

Also, do you have a link to the pinouts on the board?

Pjkim,

Completely understand...this board is definitely a step up from an Arduino.

Until I can get some more tutorials put up, you should check out the examples in controlSUITE. If you look in the C2000 LaunchPad entry in resource explorer there should be a ton of examples in there. I would recommend you take a look at the LEDBlink application. This application does a couple key things that are important. Here's the run down:

• Initializes handles for drivers - Associates peripheral addresses with the driver handle so that the driver can access a given peripheral
  • Device calibration - Trims the oscillator and loads the ADC offsets from OTP - basically just makes the part work better (more precise/accurate timing and ADC conversion)
  • Setup the device clocking - Configures the internal oscillator (10MHz) as the clock source and configures the PLL. NOTE: It looks like these examples are configured to run at 50MHz, but the device can run up to 60MHz. You could change this by changing the PLL_Multiplier_10 argument to PLL_Multiplier_12
  • Configures the PIE - the PIE is our interrupt controller, we do some basic initialization and then register an interrupt handler for the cpu timer
  • memcpy - some function in the device support package are designed only to run from RAM. These functions however are linked to flash, so they must be copied at run time before they can be called.
  • Timer setup - sets up the timer to periodically generate interrupts
  • GPIO setup - sets up the LED GPIOs as outputs and then sets alternating pins high and low.
  • Enables interrupts and loops forever (asm(" NOP"))

Because the timer is setup to periodically interrupt the CPU, the cpu_timer0_isr will run every once in a while and the LED states will be toggled.

Hope that helps! I'll try to put together another video that actually explains how these drivers work and the basic code you need to get a project started. I am also working to add support for the C2000 LaunchPad to Energia which is an Arduino IDE clone.

Hope that helps! I'll try to put together another video that actually explains how these drivers work and the basic code you need to get a project started. I am also working to add support for the C2000 LaunchPad to Energia which is an Arduino IDE clone.

That would be awesome!

you should check out the examples in controlSUITE...

First off, I want to say I really appreciate what you (and TI) are doing in terms of reaching out to the hobbyist community. Thank you. I think that you have so much experience with the tools you work with that it becomes second nature and you don't have to think about it. I have some experience with CCS5 for the 430 Launchpad but I found ControlSuite rather foreign and unfamiliar. A tutorial to explain how to go through the demos on ControlSuite would be helpful.

Perhaps you can get the woman in the product launch video to do the tutorial--call me biased but she really seemed to know what she was doing. You, not so much.

Once again, thank you and congratulations on releasing your new creation to the world.

Perhaps you can get the woman in the product launch video to do the tutorial--call me biased but she really seemed to know what she was doing. You, not so much.

Ha!