Sign in to follow this  
eelcor

CCSv5 and C2000 launchpad - Debugger crashes

I have a Windows 8 preview laptop here, but it doesn't like Windows 8. I have been deleting all references to ti CCS and removed all FTDI drivers. Let's see. Otherwise I will try in a virtual machine.

Somehow Eclipse is not very clean with all the data it spreads around on the laptop.

Kind regards, Eelco

Well,

Have been wasting my whole evening with the device. Code Composer refuses to install on Windows XP and Windows 8, so little options are left for me. Somehow I am not able to get the thing working. When I test the connection with CCS it gets stuck with loading jioserdesusb.dll and no connection is made. It doesn't reset the board as advertised.

I am getting quite frustrated. I've reinstalled CCS 10 times (which basically means 10 hours of my life I've doing fruitless installation chores with no effect at all). Are there any permissions that can be set from Java?

I have tried to clean my laptop, but somehow it doesn't have any effect. I am going to sleep right now.

Kind regards, Eelco

Well,

Have been wasting my whole evening with the device. Code Composer refuses to install on Windows XP and Windows 8, so little options are left for me. Somehow I am not able to get the thing working. When I test the connection with CCS it gets stuck with loading jioserdesusb.dll and no connection is made. It doesn't reset the board as advertised.

I am getting quite frustrated. I've reinstalled CCS 10 times (which basically means 10 hours of my life I've doing fruitless installation chores with no effect at all). Are there any permissions that can be set from Java?

I have tried to clean my laptop, but somehow it doesn't have any effect. I am going to sleep right now.

Kind regards, Eelco

That's unfortunate. I have ccs installed on Winxp at work and win7 at home. Bot work fine, except they are 32bit.

When you say refuse to install, what happens? Also, when you clean your laptop.. is it a formatted one?

I think that CCS and 64 are not always very nice to each other. Personally I am not very fond of Eclipse based IDE's as they tend to be very laggy and slow. I am unfortunately not able to clean my laptop as it is fully installed with all kinds of development tools.

I am going to try setting up a VM tomorrow to see whether it is possible to get the thing working.

Is there any way to check whether CCS uses the right Java Runtime?

Kind regards, Eelco

In windows 8 and winxp I get multiple installation failures (this is notified in the installation progress window). I am on the verge of doing a complete reinstall although I am not looking forward to it with tools like Matlab, Quartus etc.

Before you reinstall everything, try the MProg utility from FTDI. It should see the XDS100 and display the correct id strings etc. If it doesn't, you have either a hardware or a driver problem. If it does, than CCS seems to be the culprit...

Cheers

TomKraut

Thank you very much! I am going to look into this and see whether it is a hardware related problem or a CCS problem. Are there any checks I can do with the CCS installation?

Kind regards, Eelco

Well, the hardware is fine. I did a linux install in virtualbox and linux didn't have any problems connecting to the device and controlling it. The linux version is very slow, so maybe I need to increase memory and the available cores.

So it seems to be a driver/software problem. I am going to look into tomkraut's suggestion and check the ftdi tool. It is actually quite strange that the debugger completely closes when connecting to the launchpad, no error, no crashlog but just closing.

Kind regards, Eelco

The MProg utility has been superseded by FTProg. It seems to find the FTDI device without a hitch, so there is something wrong with the CCS installation or at least the communication with the XDS programmer. Is there any way to find a Java crash log of CCS?

Kind regards, Eelco

Okay, somehow the debug subsystem seems to crash. I've located the crash log and included it in this post.

It seems that CCS debug server tries to write to a virtual address without permissions. Changing the security settings doesn't do anything.

A true 64 bit version would be welcome ;-)

I've included the crash dump and log in this post. Anyone ideas?

For the time being I am going to try to make my linux vm installation bearable.

Kind regards,

Eelco

dumps.zip