kaipyroami

Anyone know of any xds100v3 emulator deals?

I think you can't beat TI's own XDS100v2 (made by Spectrum Digital...). $79 incl. shipping at the eStore, if I remember correctly. Or, if you don't need adaptive clocking (meaning, if you plan to only use it with C2000), you could try to repurpose a C2000 LaunchPad. Shouldn't be too hard to either desolder the ISO chips, or to cut the wires leading to the Piccolo. That way, you can get an isolated XDS100v1 for $17!

Cheers

TomKraut

If you're just doing C2000 stuff you can't beat the XDS100v2. And Tom is right about hacking the LaunchPad into an emulator, it could easily be done. Technically we say the LaunchPad is a XDS100v2 because we are high speed USB. The only thing we lack from the v2 reference design is the CPLD, but it doesn't do much anyway.

"...can be hacked into a stand alone unit just like the MSP430 version..."

Hmm... if it is just like the MSP430 version; why not use the MSP430 LaunchPad instead of the C2000 LaunchPad? Wouldn't it be even cheaper?

Forgive my ignorance...

Are all launchpad XDS100 interfaces fully capable?

I know some manufactures sell development boards that are tied to one chip or family of chips.

If the MSP430 Launchpad will work I will use that instead.

Forgive my ignorance...

Are all launchpad XDS100 interfaces fully capable?

I know some manufactures sell development boards that are tied to one chip or family of chips.

If the MSP430 Launchpad will work I will use that instead.

Unsure what you are trying to do, but you cannot program a C2000 with the MSP430 LP. They are two entirely different architectures.

Unsure what you are trying to do, but you cannot program a C2000 with the MSP430 LP. They are two entirely different architectures.

Ok, that's what I thought.

I will just get a spectrum XDS100 board

1. All XDS100 are fully capable. If you want, you can build your own from scratch, as TI has made all the schematics public.

2. There are three different versions of XDS100 (v1 - v3). If you want it for C2000 development with CCS4 or newer, it doesn't matter which one you get (go for the v2).

3. If you need a stand-alone XDS100 for C2000, chances are you have some skills in soldering etc... because you have build some hardware with at least one TQFP or smaller IC (the C2000... ;) ). So why not modify a $17 LaunchPad instead of buying a $79 emulator?

Don't get me wrong, if I were in your position, I would buy the Spectrum one as well, because I can later use it with other TI processors... In fact, I have used mine to do some Linux Kernel debugging on a BeagleBoard. I just want to point out that you don't have to do it...

Cheers

TomKraut

P.S.: to answer all those questions you never had about the XDS100: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/XDS100

Tom, thanks for posting the wiki link. There is a lot of great information there if you are new to the TI ecosystem.

Makelvin, The MSP430 doesn't use a true JTAG debug interface which is why the XDS100 series of emulators can't be used to program them. The XDS100 is a true JTAG emulator and the emulator on the C2k LaunchPad should be able to be used to program devices other than C2000. Also I believe that the FT2232 chip used in the XDS100 design can be used with openOCD.