43oh

5" 800x480 Capitative Touch LCD Cape

I’m working on an open test instrument platform for the BBB; in doing so I’m splitting it up into various sub-projects. I thought the community would be interested in the 5” LCD I’ve got going for independent use, so I plan on making a standalone cape for it, for those interested.

The CircuitCo and 4DSystems 7” LCDs currently on the market both run at 800x480 and use standard 24-Bit Pixel Clock interfaces over. The CircuitCo LCD has a 60-pin ZIF interface, while the 4DSystems version uses the more common 40-pin ZIF connector. The difference essentially comes down to power: LCDs with 40-pin interfaces will run straight off of 5V, while the 60-pin panels require a bunch of voltage levels to be externally generated (+10, +15, -7 in the case of the CircuitCo panel).

So, this got me thinking… There’s a plethora of 5” LCDs with an 800x480 resolution and 40-pin interfaces on the market. I figured as long as it used the same electrical interface and resolution, it should work straight off with the BB-BONE-LCD7-01 overlay (this is how the 4DSystems 7” panel works). As it turns out, I was right! Currently I’ve got the screen up and running with a standard 4-pin resistive touchscreen, however I’ve got a nice capacitive overlay on the way from China, which will be used in the final version of the board.

Here’s a few pictures of the test setup up and running. The last picture is a closeup of the display, but it really doesn’t do the quality justice. Hopefully I’ll have the Cape done this week. If there’s any interest I’ll order a dozen or so boards and sell them to members at cost for testing.  :D

post-1-14264691165868_thumb.jpg

post-1-14264691166425_thumb.jpg

post-1-14264691167046_thumb.jpg

post-1-14264691167611_thumb.jpg

That is really cool! Thanks for sharing!

I’m working on an open test instrument platform for the BBB; in doing so I’m splitting it up into various sub-projects. I thought the community would be interested in the 5” LCD I’ve got going for independent use, so I plan on making a standalone cape for it, for those interested.

I'm interested in one! If you want I'm making a large batch for the 43oh store... and get a discount too. I can pay for your intial boards if you are interested.

Would it be possible to send me links of the screens... to but a set.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I’ve been sick all this week, which seriously delayed things. The good news is that, during that time my sample display arrived from China. I just got all the measurements I needed from the FFC and am working on the PCB layout now. Basically I just have to add a few footprints, manually route the backlight driver, position the FFC connector and BBB headers, then I can let the auto-router handle the rest. (I’ll do a hand cleanup afterwards; I rarely use an auto-router, but in this case it’ll work well for getting the optimal positioning of the 40 signal traces.)

Okay, just a quick update, still working on the layout. I realized I hadn’t made a few of the part footprints, so I finished that up last night. I also ran into some difficulties routing the cap touch FFC, but I’ve found a solution so I’m working that right now!

• 3 months later...